When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to disassemble the crank on a Crescent No.11 1898?

-

Roger K

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I've found a 1898 Crescent No.11 that seemingly hasn't been used the last 90+ years, but still looks OK enough to be back on the road with a little service and new tires.
Here comes an obstacle - I don't know how to take the crank apart without damage to the parts? No place to put a puller..

I guess someone here has done it before?

Crescent 1898_Page_06.jpg

20220523_232422.jpg

I wasn't paying attention yesterday when I looked at it - there are actually threads for a puller inside the pedal arm - does anybody know the thread, so I can make me a puller?

Interesting contraption.
Any pictures of the pin on the bottom bracket or the knurled lock-nut?

I had believed that the threaded BB cups were Fauber parts; but it looks like threaded cups without flanges may be Crescent parts.

Last edited:
Is the crank axle threaded? the arm may screw on or off with the slotted nut as the locknut. Just an idea- I haven't taken one apart myself.

Looking at fig. 3 there doesn't appear to be threads holding that non drive crank arm....maybe just a square shaft? Then looking at the fig. 4 the bearing race looks inboard of the bearing on the non drive side. Soooo....is there a chance that one could tap the axle through towards the drive side once the drive side bottom bracket ring is removed. Just riffin' ?
Kryn

I had the same problem when I made mine. It's very difficult to measure the internal threads and the diameter is odd. It's been years but I clearly remember chasing the threads in my lathe several time before i had a good fit and the used my first effort as a pattern to make a more refined copy.
I'm measuring .786 inch outside diameter of the threaded portion of my puller and 32 threads per inch.

20220530_105225.jpg

Back