When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A continuous-loop cable??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm restoring a 1938-ish Phillips with a period-correct Cyclo 3 Speed. The shift cables are frozen/broken. Upon disassembly...I discovered that it had not two shift cables - but just one. It's somehow formed into a continuous loop - joined by one of the fittings that seat in either the gear cluster or the shifter??? Upon very close inspection, it doesn't look like either of those fittings perform that function. But one of them, has to. I've never seen such a cable fitting. Can anyone enlighten me - and/or point me towards either a fittings source, or a custom cablemaker who could recreate this cable? Thanks.

Ouch. I hope you find someone who can help, but my best guess is you will need to make that. What are the fittings at the end made of? Brass would be nice. If so, you might have a 50/50 chance of saving them. Otherwise I think you will need to make them out of brass. At both ends, I think you will want an extra hole through the sides of the "T", perpendicular to the cable. I'd use modern drawn stainless shifter cable core and attempt to silver braze it using flux mixed with powdered silver, being very careful to have the flux and silver only inside the cable holes. You can't have the silver wicking up the cable making it stiff. I would use all the old cable housings and hardware if possible.

Used 'Cyclo' cables regularly crop up on Ebay over here.
New cables have been unavailable for many decades, so your only other option is to make a new one.
You are correct in thinking that those curious fittings engage with relevant holes in the rear derailleur mechanism and also the shift lever assembly.

It looks like you have a 'Cyclo' Standard derailleur.

Here's a link to the relevant page on probably
your best sourceofinformation, the excellent 'Disraeli Gears' website.....

Used 'Cyclo' cables regularly crop up on Ebay over here.
New cables have been unavailable for many decades, so your only other option is to make a new one.
You are correct in thinking that those curious fittings engage with relevant holes in the rear derailleur mechanism and also the shift lever assembly.

It looks like you have a 'Cyclo' Standard derailleur.

Here's a link to the relevant page on probably
your best sourceofinformation, the excellent 'Disraeli Gears' website.....

Thanks! I'll start haunting ebay.uk

The fittings are soldered in place- you should be able to salvage the fitting and make a new cable. Motorcycle shops do this all the time.

If they are soft soldered, and you salvage them, you may need to use plain steel cable and acid flux instead of what I suggested earlier.

Back