When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hendee Mfr./Indian Cycles Regas Spring Frame Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Gotta love this tech and thread -
Just because it is not yet posted here though I know it is elsewhere I will attach this Regas Vehicle advert image -

1903 Regas Spring Frame.jpg

First I would like to thank Ken @Hastings for the opportunity to build out this awesome spring frame.

Sager is well known for his saddles and other bicycle components. From preliminary research posted on this forum, and other information I have found, Sager first tried to patent a spring frame similar to the "Hygienic Cushion" frame popular at the time. I suspect this patent was denied because it was too close to the Hygienic design. This frame is Sager's second patent attempt. The “Regas” Cushion design incorporated two springs in the upper rear stays and a pivoting bottom bracket. Regas is Sager’s name spelled backwards. The frame design was licensed to several bicycle manufacturers (according to Sager’s advertisements). I can conclude Iver Johnson and Hendee both used the design. Sager also sold bikes from his own retail establishment under his manufacturing company’s name.

What I need assistance is the following:
1. Does anyone know other firms who used this design?
2. Can anyone identify the fork used on this bike along with the tall/flush lower headtube bearing race? It is interesting that it sits flush with the tube. The upper race height is what we more typically see but is flush with the tube as well.

Thank you for any input and assistance. Kindly, Brant

View attachment 1505340

View attachment 1505341

View attachment 1505342

View attachment 1505343

View attachment 1505344

View attachment 1505345

View attachment 1505346
I have same frame Original paint with an Indian badge on it. Not sure if there a fork I’ll take a look.

I just did the first mock-up of the 1903/03 the Hendee Mfr. built Regas Spring Frame bicycle. It is my theory Hendee Mfr. built this bike for Sager to sell out of his retail establishment in Rochester, NY. There is no evidence Sager was building any bicycles at this time so contracting them to one of his client firms makes sense. Indian Cycles/Hendee seems to be one of the few/only manufacturers to be using Sager's Spring Frame design at this early date. As we know, Iver Johnson does adopt the design but not until later on; can anyone comment when this type of spring frame first appears in the Iver catalogs? This bicycle was discovered by Ken @Hastings at a farm outside of Rochester, NY. The fork is seemingly original as are the chain ring and cranks; these differ from what Indian was putting on wheels they were selling.

Indian Cycles/Hendee was offering the Regas Spring Frame in 1902 & 03 per their catalogs. It is unknown to this writer if bicycles were still be offered in 1904 as it has been said the company decided to just focus on motorcycles. I have yet to see a full version of a 1904 catalog. One would think 1904 may have been a transition year with some bicycles being sold.

Interestingly, another Hendee built Regas frame exists with the Indian Script badge. It is an original bicycle that was discovered in a basement in Maine. Hopefully the owner will post images on this thread. It would be great to get these two bicycles side by side to compare.

As state above, this is my first mock-up so some modifications are forthcoming. Indian Cycles was marketing the bicycle with Troxel saddles; I would prefer to fit this example with a Sager saddle considering it was likely sold in J. Harry Sager's shop and the build-out is already slightly different. Red button thread tires will be used instead of Fisk Premiers; the mock-up has two different types, Pennsylvania Clinchers and Syracuse Studs. Both would have been readily available aftermarket tires to the bicycle's original owner.

The struggle for the past day has been getting pedals to mount! I can get standard 1/2"- 20 tpi pedals to start on both sides but only for about a half a turn. The the crank threads have been cleaned and I have chased them with dental tools. Six different pairs were tried. It seems the pitch is different on these cranks; possibly 1/2" by 24 tpi? If anyone has thoughts please let me know. I do have a six spoked Indian chain ring from that period I could use on the bike but would rather use the og ring as discovered.

CFC44F86-A929-4377-8710-7601B268052F.jpeg

B0491152-1C79-42B5-8D99-315FACCA8463.jpeg

07D66F7E-F00B-4C72-9600-7956D4E6A4AE.jpeg

2FADE5ED-4607-43CA-B7E2-C2FA92812145.jpeg

38BF860F-5393-49D7-944F-DEEFF0341AA5.jpeg

56241E1A-A921-41BB-AF3A-A587D764EB21.jpeg

A03DAE84-E9E1-4A16-A6C8-44C623793AEA.jpeg

8FEB44E6-20A6-4FB6-9690-AB68E3D28850.jpeg

BFA5A5CC-320F-4C35-BBE5-75E2846812D2.jpeg

IMG_5989.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg