When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Elgin

-

Durham27707

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Long time bike mechanic, first cool old bike. I found it in a neighbors trash if you can believe that. Any idea of year/model to get me started on fixing it up?

20220801_112857.jpg

20220801_145114.jpg

20220801_145129.jpg

Someone has removed the drop stand in favor of an aftermarket kickstand. As well as removing the truss rods so the basket could be added. The chain guard is likely aftermarket for that year as well. I think it’s later than previously stated. I’ve been led to believe that the head badge shown was a ‘37 and later badge. Could be wrong on those dates though. Definitely not like the badge pictured in the illustration. I’ve got two; a ‘39 identified with a D, and a 40 identified with an E. Could that C represent 1938?

Hi @Durham27707

A93943 is a Westfield built bike made for Sears and Roebuck under the Elgin name. It was made around June 1936. The second set of numbers above the first (see the C7 at top right in @Majdotkool 's helpful post) would confirm the exact year and month. I'm guessing C6.

Here's @jchicago 's A80134 / C5 which is very close in date to yours. It has the same headbadge.

Best Regards,
Adrian

Last edited:
Someone has removed the drop stand in favor of an aftermarket kickstand. As well as removing the truss rods so the basket could be added. The chain guard is likely aftermarket for that year as well. I think it’s later than previously stated. I’ve been led to believe that the head badge shown was a ‘37 and later badge. Could be wrong on those dates though. Definitely not like the badge pictured in the illustration. I’ve got two; a ‘39 identified with a D, and a 40 identified with an E. Could that C represent 1938?
If you look in the Elgin book, the '36 catalog pages show the aqua background badge, and '37 has the black background. But here's evidence as to the change happening mid year. Sometimes a bike surfaces, and we all learn something!

Back