When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Henri Gauthier Saddle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

alexander55

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am curious if anyone has information regarding the dating of this saddle. I assume a "Model 29". I found a few things online with other saddles by this French maker but not this one. Am I missing something? THANKS for any assistance.

H&G Saddle (1).jpg

H&G Saddle (2).jpg

H and G Saddles.jpg

Hi @alexander55

HG is Henri Gauthier, a man with many business interests at the start of the 20th Century.

Here is short history: http://www.editions-bdlm.com/henrigauthier.html

I'm sorry, I don't have time to translate it all, but the relevant section is:

"With the help of the development of the velocipede, he settled in 1900 in Villeurbanne (France) in new buildings. With his 15 workers, he struggled to satisfy all his customers with his leather saddles. He filed numerous patents between 1903 and 1907 concerning the manufacture of gun cases and bicycle saddles."

No indication of when he stopped manufacture.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Haven't found any catalogues featuring the 'Modele 29' yet.
Similar style saddles were used on 40's/50's Peugeots, but unable to determine if they were H.G. marque, pictured is of a Peugeot 'PLX 8' from 1955......
Screenshot_20220806-164926_Chrome.jpg

Back