When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February '64 Coppertone find

-

Mootree

Look Ma, No Hands!
Wasn't even looking but thanks to the Facebook algorithms which I usually hate, this thing showed up 35 minutes from my front door😍. The paint is in great shape with some slight fading on the top tube, lettering looks great! The chainring will need swapped out, grips aren't original, but damn, hard to believe these are still out there. I believe it is a standard with fenders, correct? Just got it home Thursday, first pics were as found, last pic is after a quick spit shine last night. Never had a 63/64, pretty excited about this one.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Nice find, great color.
It shows as a J-38 (standard) that someone added aftermarket fenders, chain ring and grips.

For a February 1964 it should have the following components.
36 spoke S-2
Non crimp seat strut.
Small stimsonite reflector with it’s mounting strap.

It has the correct smooth solo polo seat and seems to have the correct pedals and correct early headset top bearing.

What does the LH side look like?

Congratulations. Nice find, great color.
It shows as a J-38 (standard) that someone added aftermarket fenders, chain ring and grips.

For a February 1964 it should have the following components.
36 spoke S-2
Non crimp seat strut.
Small stimsonite reflector with it’s mounting strap.

It has the correct smooth solo polo seat and seems to have the correct pedals and correct early headset top bearing.

What does the LH side look like?
Man I've been reading through your posts trying to gain some knowledge, thanks for posting what you do. As for the LH side, well I cheated and it's still dirty lol (busted😆). Another thing that is confusing me is the rear hub and an S2 in front and rear? Ran out and got you some shots before dark. Thanks for your knowledge and help!

20220806_181508.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, so you have a 28 spoke S-2 on front and rear?
Yes, that rear hub is wrong also.
The Bendix brake arm and strap are correct.

Someone has been doing some crazy modifications on this bike.
Yep, like I said, it's all kind of confusing. The guy I bought it from was a scrapper, picked this bike up while cleaning up a farm near Clarinda, Iowa. He knew it shouldn't be scrapped but it is as he found it according to him. Everything has the same amount of grime/crustiness and the rear fender has the '66 registration on there so we know the fenders have been on there at least that long. Swapping the hub and sprocket make no real sense to me when the rest of the bike is somewhat untouched. Those aren't amateur modifications to me. Grips make sense-people do that. Obviously the farm owners weren't enthusiasts if it was going to the scrapper. My guess is that all of the mods were made a long time ago, for what reason, we'll never know I guess.

Back