When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay, what ladies' balloon bicycles are worth a good chunk of change?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
The recent overpriced listing of the ladies' Colson with battery bars has brought to light the persistence of an old and outdated prejudice against ladies' bicycles. There's no denying that the market for men's bicycles is dramatically more robust than that of ladies' bicycles. This can't be argued. And some guys just don't want them. But with that said, there are undoubtedly a number of high-dollar ladies' balloon bikes indeed worth owning. I was indoctrinated into the world of collecting bicycles back in the late 80s with the basic understanding that "boys' bikes are good and girls' bikes are bad." There have always been exceptions like the Elgin Skylark and Miss America, but this blanket belief resulted in my dad walking away from some pretty nice bikes because he "didn't have room for ladies' bikes." My dad technically didn't have room for any bikes, but I remember, early on, him leaving behind a free ladies' Mercury Pacemaker with a tank and shroud. I thought the bike had sweet styling and loved it, but, alas, it was a ladies' bike so it was a no-go. My father would ultimately learn from this mistake, but it was too late. My long-winded point is that this way of thinking is clearly limiting and potentially costly.

So, I thought it would be helpful to start a thread of rare and valuable ladies' balloon bicycles (NOTE: these two qualifiers aren't mutually exclusive... something can be rare and not valuable, or valuable and not rare, so let's stay on the valuable side of the equation) so that folks may be better educated on the subject and make more informed decisions when given the chance. I would imagine that @fordmike65 will have some valuable insight as will a number of experienced CABErs. I'll start things off with the two no-brainers I mentioned: the Elgin Skylark and the Elgin Miss America (pictures courtesy of the Copake Auction and @onecatahula). Please chip in if you're in the know, and simply sit back and learn if you're not.

1663621888006.png

1663622025506.png

Back