When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

19?? Geoffrey Buttler

-

OhioMike

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I haven't had much luck finding information on this Geoffrey Butler track bike / single speed freewheel.
Does anyone out there have a clue what year this bike may have been built. The serial number on the bottom bracket is 5333.
I don't generally ask this question, but if you're willing to take a stab, what would you think it would be worth?

20220815_150850.jpg

20220815_150751.jpg

20220815_150719.jpg

Nice bike, love those bars!
Quality machines.
You're right @comet, he was Claud Butler's brother.
Here's a link to the Classic Lightweights page on Geoffrey Butler bicycles:

...sadly the shop closed down last year, after 6 decades of business.

If I had to guess then I would say your frame is late 70's to late 80's. ( I have information but can't find it right now )

Here's mine as it was either a '71, '72 or '73.

I wrote them in 1993 asking about restoring mine and they wrote back with this letter that I still have - ( they noted they did not have catalogues )

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_5588 2.jpg

Thanks for the follow-up. You provide many good leads that have resulted in a narrowed down date.

Here's what I found using the Reynolds 531 seat tube decal as a guide. From the specific design of the 531 decal I have found that the bike was most likely built between 1975 and 1977.
Reynolds apparently has changed their decal over the years and cataloged the changes.
As far as the GB goes as a company.
According to the internet, they went many through several management and ownership changes.
Claude died, Geoffrey went into business for himself and his partner ended up taking the business over.
The interesting thing is they used multiple frame builders. Through all that they maintained a great reputation for building lightweight steel bikes. In the end they were buying their frames from Italy. Again, all sourced from the never to be doubted internet.

Still struggling on a price.
For you seasoned bike buyers and traders, is this something that could be sold at the Copake swap meet?

20221006_200442.jpg

good looking bicycle, great geometry
are the wheels two different sizes? or is it just an illusion?

can 't help on value, but it might depend on the components

Bummer you missed out on the fixie craze of the late 2000s, that would’ve been the high point for value. Parts are nothing spectacular here and finding a buyer nowadays would be pretty niche. I’d say pop it on eBay starting bid $600 and see what happens. Best bet to find the right audience…

Back