When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A study in bicycle grips

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
NOS Dunlop rubber grips

20220220_201506.jpg

This nice Crown Cyrus by Great Western just showed up in the for sale section and the grips caught my attention. They seemed to be wrapped with shellacked twine instead of leather. The lay of the cordage reminds me of two strand tarred marline used in the old days for serving lines and stays on sailing ships, it would be tarred for protection from chaffing, water and wear. Very nice bike and interesting grips. Those grips have the look of old pine tar covered line and canvas.
Grips on CrownCYrus Great Western.jpg

To serve a line you "worm and marvel with the lay, turn and serve the other way".

Two strand tarred hemp Marline. Very useful stuff and it smells good too, like biking in a pine forest.;)

I found this single cork grip on these teens' era bars in the storage locker stuff I bought. Searched several times hoping to find the other grip, but no luck. No Idea what bike they came off of as the only teen's - 20's era bike in the bunch already had bars on it. Comparing it to the ads shown on the first page, the grip looks to be a Codling, or Cork and Corkine grip.

Back