When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here, trying to figure out what some items are and fit

-

rlitcher

On Training Wheels
Greetings to this Forum. I usually collect auto parts but have recently come across some bicycle bits that I am wanting to find out more about. I wasn't sure which sub forum applied. I have some Huffy parts like baskets and headlight assemblies/w switches. The tanks say Thunderbird on them (I didnt get the tanks, long story) and look 50's style. I know the lights go with Thunderbird tanks as I test fit them before they got away from me. I also picked up a tank without the light assembly marked JC Higgins, it has 2 switches on it, light and horn. Are these items sought after? What year are these parts from? Which forum would be the appropriate one.

bike.jpg

bike 2.jpg

bike3.jpg

The headlight assemblies have value as they are usually missing or broken. The bracket is for holding side baskets over the rear fender. The battery assemblies look like they are for inside the tank to power the headlights, or possibly for lighted rear carriers.

Thanks for your reply, I thought that since i got 2 baskets from 2 bikes they were for the front or something. What you said makes more sense with that bracket.

The tank is from a Sears and Roebuck J.C. Higgins Flightliner. They were manufactured for Sears by Murray between about 1958 and 1964. The headlight cowlings are probably from Huffy Thunderbirds of the same era. The pic is my 1960 Flightliner, which has a white tank and a metal cowling. Have fun!

Back