When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHAINS WITHOUT A MASTER LINK

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tomtr6

Look Ma, No Hands!
Anyone know why Schwinn made chains without a master link? Working on this 73 schwinn suburban 10 speed. Need a new chain. Seems really dumb to have to drill it out.

Anyone know why Schwinn made chains without a master link? Working on this 73 schwinn suburban 10 speed. Need a new chain. Seems really dumb to have to drill it out.

Hit YouTube for the how to. All derailleur bikes back then never had a master link. Tight gear clusters are the reason why, at least one of reasons.

Why not use a chain breaker tool & press a pin out?
yes but Ive been trying not to spend any more $$ on this thing (for the tool). With new cables, cutter tool for same, tires/tubes, ive got more into it than its worth (I know, im not alone on that!)

Use chain breaker tool to push pin out. Even modern new chains may not have master link. To reattach link, do not push pin all out, makes easier to push pin back in reattach links with chain tool. 👍

Probably easier to hack saw than drill. All new chains I've purchased in the past several years come with the new style master link that works with a shifty bike. Caveat that I've only bought 9 and 10 speed chains, but either should work with a 5 speed freewheel. So no extra cost.

When you see the new master, it will be clear why this works, and the old retaining clip type doesn't. I happen to carry a spare (along with a breaker) in case I break one on the road. Hasn't happened to me personally, but I was able to help out a fellow on a group ride who broke his chain. Interestingly, my master was a 9 speed, his bike (and presumably chain) was a 7, and it worked. So not a lot of difference there.

I checked your question on the forum due to this is about my 15th Schwinn I’ve worked on and discovered no master link on my chain either. It’s a 70s bantam. I laid the chain upright and struck between the outer part of the links with a sharp chisel and hammer and it popped the outer side of the link off completely. Now I’ll reassemble with a master link.

Back