When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leon Dixon Top 25 Collectible Bikes...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly Leon's Elgin Gull at #1 isn't where the current market or collector's heads are at we the Copake bike is considered. Tastes and desires change.

Rarer but not a good rider small frame I like the Cadillac feeling you get from a bluebird it just floats it's amazing
but the Aerocycle set tone i ve had ten bluebirds and three areocycles and personally i didnt keep either the Airflow and the RMS to me are far and away much sexier the BB took a gorilla to ride

I define collectable as how many exist. How many Elgin Gulls have popped up? Three maybe? The death bike.... Evinrudes.... less than a dozen ORIGINALS in existence should justify collectable. The Bug Eye supreme...only 5 maybe in original paint.... The Mercury Pacemaker is an underrated one also in deluxe trimming with aluminum fenders, chrome tank, guard and rack. 1938 Colson Imperial....how many original paint ones exist? 3 tops? That's the list we need to examine. How many exist? Aerocycles are great but are everywhere. The Bluebird, sure it's a rare bike but how many exist? A lot. The 1939 Hawthorne Zep is another rare one that's underrated. The list can go on forever.

Certainly Leon's Elgin Gull at #1 isn't where the current market or collector's heads are at we the Copake bike is considered. Tastes and desires change.
You also have to take in to account, that it was not complete. It was missing the original aluminum handlebars. And those are impossible to find. Out of the "six known" Gulls only four have the bars.

How many safetys have the aluminum bars one i know of that Marty now owns that i had for years …… i ve owned six Evinrudes all deluxe all the Evinrude talk is a myth i ve seen at least half of the so called fortu something sold …… How many original 36 indians …… I ve owned 2 orig paint 37 RMS i ve seen a dozen total and not with repop tanks count them and there is over 20 bikes …… original deluxe airflows with aluminum fluted fenders i know of 2 and i ve owned over 20 airflows to me that bike w/aluminum fenders is the rarest and #1 bike but as far as desireable the Aerocycle is king show me one collector with clean shorts when a really good orig showd up

Ed Popowitz (catfish) spring fork big tank Dayton or his Columbia Air Rider big tank he got from me that was Castelli’s now there are two bikes that in my book doon him king …….

My thinking, is a cross reference of everybody’s top 10 list, and which model bikes show up the most.
I’m sure the 35-37 Elgin Bluebird would be in the running for the most universally chosen bike.
That doesn’t mean it’s the rarest, most valuable bike.
It just means, it’s one of the most iconic bikes, because it has broad appeal among the most knowledgeable collectors.
I’m sure the 34-35 Schwinn Aerocycle, 38-39 Shelby Speedline Airflo, etc would also rate high across the spectrum.
But, what one model is just about on everyone’s list?
That’s the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back