When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many Cabers have ridden 100 miles on a bike all at once?

-
I'm an old fart now, and have no plans to do another, but back when I was young and handsome I'd usually go on a couple 100 mile club rides every summer.

the last long ride I did was 100 K (60 miles) in 1996 when I was 36 after a long summer of mountain biking and losing 40 pounds. the furthest I have ridden in the last couple years was only about 15 miles.

just curious who else is masochistic and loves to punish their bodies.
Eight years ago at the age of 54 I rode 75 miles in the Hermann Gravel Challenge in Missouri. It seemed like it was all hills. I was on Specialized Secteur Road and Gravel bike with smooth tires. Not the best choice for graveled covered hills. I made it to the second check point within 25 miles of the finish but was too late to continue on. That was ok with me as I was spent. I did not even attempt to ride 100 miles the next day to complete the challenge.

Many many times.
The yearly ride schedule in the Seattle area in the 90's and beyond:
STP (Seattle to Portland) 200 miles in one day then back on the next.
Next was RamRod (Ride Around Mt. Rainer) 150 miles and lot's of climbing.
Then Cannonball. Seattle to Spokane - 300 in one day and at around 265 in my brain would play tricks on me.
950 miles in 4 days - plus a ton of base miles.
Doesn't matter the about bike (blasphemy?) , it's about the effort.

whoops, 850 for those events.
Custom Glenn Erikson, Prestige tubing, Campagnolo Record and may others..

Eight years ago at the age of 54 I rode 75 miles in the Hermann Gravel Challenge in Missouri. It seemed like it was all hills. I was on Specialized Secteur Road and Gravel bike with smooth tires. Not the best choice for graveled covered hills. I made it to the second check point within 25 miles of the finish but was too late to continue on. That was ok with me as I was spent. I did not even attempt to ride 100 miles the next day to complete the challenge.
I ride Hiawatha’s Revenge gravel race each Memorial Day Weekend. Your choice, 34 miles, 62 miles or 100 miles. The first year I rode the 62 km. I finished after everyone went home, the 100 milers were long gone. The last official was sitting in his truck, out of beer. Now I only do the 34 mile ride.

I’ve done it numerous times since I retired, all solo rides. About 5 years ago I did 3 centuries in one week , riding a modern road bike. That year my goal was 12,000 mi and I made it, barely! The year before the pandemic I was riding gravel a lot and rode 2 gravel centuries, which both included riding to top of Snoqualmie pass in Washington. On one of those rides I had a herd of Elk run out of a side trail right in front of me ! I’ve now completely changed my riding style and gotten away from just racking up miles on the road, to riding vintage single speeds off-road Last year I started riding klunker single speeds ( when not riding gravel tandem with wife) My goal was to ride 50 mi on gravel on a single speed. I reached that goal riding a ‘ 59 Schwinn Toronado last May. I know I’ll never make 100 on a single speed on gravel though, but it’s a different challenge for an old overweight guy. Maybe 75?

Last edited:
I’ve done it numerous times since I retired, all solo rides. About 5 years ago I did 3 centuries in one week , riding a modern road bike. That year my goal was 12,000 mi and I made it, barely!
Awesome! 5 years ago you were my age.😅
Check this thread all the way through.
One of my posts was regarding Darren's post about "How many days...?"
400 miles in 5 days, put in a "40 hour week".🥰
I worked more last year than my average, my riding mileage dropped to 11,966 in 2022 (2 solo centuries), from
13,851miles in 2021 (4 centuries+)
i came home wet and cold trying to get 12,000 Sat.12/31/2022 32 miles in the rain.
"It's OK/i'm OK"
IMG_9920.jpg

my record for this bike is 120 miles in a day, with the bag: 10/08/2019 "Merry Christmas Ride"
The more you ride, the more you want to.

Awesome! 5 years ago you were my age.😅
Check this thread all the way through.
One of my posts was regarding Darren's post about "How many days...?"
400 miles in 5 days, put in a "40 hour week".🥰
I worked more last year than my average, my riding mileage dropped to 11,966 in 2022 (2 solo centuries), from
13,851miles in 2021 (4 centuries+)
i came home wet and cold trying to get 12,000 Sat.12/31/2022 32 miles in the rain.
"It's OK/i'm OK"
View attachment 1763808
my record for this bike is 120 miles in a day, with the bag: 10/08/2019 "Merry Christmas Ride"
The more you ride, the more you want to.
I used to joke” riding is my job” That’s awesome! I know how hard and time cosuming that is, and to do that much mileage multiple years,( on a single speed?) terrific! I rode around 9-10.000 for few years and now dropped off. The week I did 3 centuries I rode 550 miles,! I wish I had your riding weather, seems like it’s raining here for like 8 months out of the year!

Last edited:
Bump the Century Ride Thread, for May 8, 2023
1935 Velvet DeLUXE, has a 2-Speed, almost always, Automatically in 2nd, Sachs Duo-matic.
Fun day with nearly perfect weather and conditions, Good Vibes...
IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

4 trip loops to Sunset Beach Water Tower, then down to the Wedge to round the total to 102+ miles.
I needed a rest after lunch; 70+ miles, Gatorade, grapes, and a banana helped finish it.
Fun Day!!!

Back