When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freewheel rubbing on rear derailleur nut

-

notroman

On Training Wheels
I am trying to bring back to life a 1965 Continental that someone was throwing away. This bike has spent years sitting outside and needed a lot of work. I'm finally back to the reassembly stage and running into some issues. I've never worked on bikes like this before (all experience is with bikes from the 90s and newer), and I don't have anything assembled to reference. I'm hoping the collective mind here can help.

The problem I'm seeing is there doesn't seem to be enough clearance between the freewheel and the frame. When I install the wheel on the bike the freewheel rubs on the adapter nut for the rear derailleur. Judging by the groove worn into the nut, this may have been happening for a while before the bike was indefinitely parked outside. The freewheel is a 14-28t MODEL J. The rear wheel was off the bike when I picked it up, so I'm not sure if there are any parts missing. I know there is a large spacer that screws onto the axle - perhaps there is another spacer missing? The spacer protrudes about 2mm, but the derailleur nut is thicker than that so the two inevitably meet when installed. Included pictures are of the damage to the derailleur nut, the spacer that protrudes out of the freewheel, and the freewheel itself. Bummer I just discovered this, because I had already dished the wheel while reassembling it. If any additional spacers need to be added I'll likely have to do it again.

20221127_181856.jpg

20221127_181711.jpg

20221127_181522.jpg

Last edited:
According to this diagram there shouldn't be a spacer. Of course adding one would solve the problem here, but I'm more curious what may be causing this to begin with. Maybe the freewheel is not original to the bike? Everything looked to be original, even the tires, but who knows with a bike this old.

20200620-081454-resized.jpg

I had that problem 12 years ago. Not a lot of room there.

Tried to send a photo from my phone but it doesn't work. 🤬

Last edited:
7AF270ED-68E1-4567-A49A-C88EF2045077.jpeg

Looks like it's the chain hitting the nut. Is the freewheel threaded on all the way? Is there a spacer washer between the freewheel and spoke protector? Or is the spoke protector keeping the freewheel from seating correctly? Do you have the part number 21, the spacer installed? An incorrect shorter cone could also cause that issue.

Last edited:
-----

gear block appears later than cycle

is rear wheel original to cycle?

Schwinn Approved gear blocks did not come with this black dust seal in 1965; IIRC that is a feature which came later

the part of the gear block which is rubbing on the nut is a part which is not in use

it has a groove designed to accept a guard to protect against derailments to the outside but the guard is absent

the original hub would have had a 120mm over locknut dimension and the gear block which is fitted to the hub is designed to work with a hub with a 122mm over locknut dimension

this change came in about 1972

-----

-----

gear block appears later than cycle

is rear wheel original to cycle?

Schwinn Approved gear blocks did not come with this black dust seal in 1965; IIRC that is a feature which came later

the part of the gear block which is rubbing on the nut is a part which is not in use

it has a groove designed to accept a guard to protect against derailments to the outside but the guard is absent

the original hub would have had a 120mm over locknut dimension and the gear block which is fitted to the hub is designed to work with a hub with a 122mm over locknut dimension

this change came in about 1972

-----

The freewheel definitely has been changed, a Sprint branded Atom would be on a 65 model. The black dust cover does have Schwinn in it though.

Thank you for all your responses. The rear wheel has a Sprint hub, so it should be original to the bike. Sounds like the freewheel is the culprit, then. If the freewheel currently installed was designed for a hub with 122mm OLD then it would make sense to have potential clearance issues like this with the 120mm OLD hub (assuming the extra width came from the spacers, not from the hub body). I would either need to find the original Atom freewheel or add a 2mm spacer to the existing axle, then re-dish the wheel. I should have some spacers laying around so I'll probably go that route.

Curious that the guard is missing from the freewheel. How were those attached to the freewheel body? I am not seeing any threads.

I think the guards on the freewheel came out when the stingrays got a five speed in 68 or later.

-----

The non-present guard was fashioned of stamped steel sheet and finished black.

It mounted with a snap ring.

The reason you are getting the rubbing problem is due to the outboard protrusion with the groove visible in the profile image.

The original Schwinn Sprint/Atom gear block would have a brass face plate for the body and would lack this feature.

The reason for the OLD change from 120 to 122 was to provide clearance room for the guard.

-----

Back