When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "HOLY GRAIL" of Schwinn MTB frames!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice! That is a twin of my Sidewinder. Mine is a 21" frame (22" c-t). The original Schwinn Studded Balloon tires are falling apart, at least at the sidewalls. The Sidewinder was just a Varsity frame with fat tires. A logical solution, but a low tech one. They are great riding bikes, though.

Is "No Hands" still in print? Sounds like an interesting read.
Not sure, but I think it is out of print. You can find "No Hands" on ebay or Amazon as used books. They are not rare although some are priced higher than what I consider to be reasonable. I found my used library copy at Goodwill for $1.

Wow! The KS and Sidewinder look factory fresh.

The King Sting was a new dealer display model, and never sold until the shop closed. And the Sidewinder was a true barn find here in Maine, and just needed a good service and polish. Not even any brake wear on the rims!

Here is what it looked like when I got it.

The King Sting was a new dealer display model, and never sold until the shop closed. And the Sidewinder was a true barn find here in Maine, and just needed a good service and polish. Not even any brake wear on the rims!

Here is what it looked like when I got it.
The tires look better than the ones on mine. The sidewalls are cracking badly and peeling off. The tires are still rideable, though.

So what did cha do with the frame/fork?
Hopefully you built it up and riding the thing.
No bike was ever created to be wall art - ride it like it was intended.
Nice find.

So what did cha do with the frame/fork?
Hopefully you built it up and riding the thing.
No bike was ever created to be wall art - ride it like it was intended.
Nice find.

I am assuming this post was directed at me?

The F&F are now hanging on my wall. As I stated previously, I have plenty of bikes to ride, that I don't ride often enough. IMO, it is more valuable as it sits, then if I built it up to ride.

Xlolobsterman
Good to see you are preserving the bike as it is, it is a piece of history in its own right and not to destroy it by building it up the riding it would not be a good thing. It can hang in a museum for its uniqueness, well until it is confirmed for its date.
I did measure and drew my frame in comparison to the Breezer frame of 1980/1 series 2 that is one the could have been copied by Schwinn,. Can you
check your frame and the Schwinn KS for similarity particularly the geometry. If Schwinn copied our Frame they have they could have copied it for the KS.
Well, Breezer and Tom Ritchie and say they used the 1940`s Schwinn frame geometry for inspiration. Mountainbikes recycled old 1940s Schwinn frames.
The quote below confirms that Schwinn would have been reluctant to say MTB and called the frames they made ATB. Schwinn backed off using the clunker name for similar reasons.
Les
So in browsing Facebook this morning while drinking my coffee, I found this statement by Charlie Kelly about their "Mountain Bike" trademark being denied by the powers that be! You can download the PDF file from that FB group.

View attachment 1720501

Xlolobsterman
Good to see you are preserving the bike as it is, it is a piece of history in its own right and not to destroy it by building it up the riding it would not be a good thing. It can hang in a museum for its uniqueness, well until it is confirmed for its date.
I did measure and drew my frame in comparison to the Breezer frame of 1980/1 series 2 that is one the could have been copied by Schwinn,. Can you
check your frame and the Schwinn KS for similarity particularly the geometry. If Schwinn copied our Frame they have they could have copied it for the KS.
Well, Breezer and Tom Ritchie and say they used the 1940`s Schwinn frame geometry for inspiration. Mountainbikes recycled old 1940s Schwinn frames.
The quote below confirms that Schwinn would have been reluctant to say MTB and called the frames they made ATB. Schwinn backed off using the clunker name for similar reasons.
Les

This was your drawing of the frame?

Read the red print at the bottom left of this catalog page.

View attachment 1715627
I'm puzzled a bit, what exactly does the disclaimer mean?
On a side note, I noticed the king sting frames are available in this 1983 catalog, were they actually? My understanding is the King was 81 & 82, although on on a popular bmx site seems every one thinks they own a 1980 king sting, likely MR frames(81 production)that they base this on?
So what years did schwinn offer the King as completes or just frames. I've read somewhere Red or Blue were frame only options not complete units.

Back