When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me ID J. C. Higgins

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Here‘s a link to a Forum dedicated to Flightliners/Spaceliners in the Middleweight forum.

WOW, GREAT information, thank you!
But my chain guard doesn't say "flightliner" like yours, unless its worn away? I have one peddle with the white rubber like yours and the other has black rubber - but looks like when the black wears down its white underneath?? Maybe one of my peddles was replaced along the way. How do you treat the inside of the fenders that I can't de-rust? I was thinking of painting the inside silver? or leave it 'as is"? Previous owner put halogen bulbs in the front light but I can't get it to work. Batteries are in parallel and I think these bulbs are for series hookup. Haven't fooled with the horn yet, but I have it. The rear battery box is a mess but if I pop the rivets I might be able to clean it up and free the switch. Handle bar grips are worn, (thats OK - a vintage bike or doll thats perfect in the box is sad) but I don't like the worn end - seeing into the rusted tube, maybe I can find a black plug. Whats the consensus on what chrome polish is best? I am using Glass Wax because thats what I used when I was kid (I am 57yo). I have the same 3 pack wire brushes from Harbor fright and used the silver steel one around the wheel spokes and it worked well without scratching. I am happy how my wheels came out, haven't yet tightened and trued the spokes yet. My tires are very dried but OK treads, I am assuming they are not original compared to the peddles.

chain guard.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

I’m sure that the original Flightliner script has just worn off, decals are available, as are the other pieces of “script” on the tank and headlight bezel. One of my two bikes has replacement pedals, and all three have replacement grips. The Aluminum foil will work on the inside of the fenders as well. You can also soak them in a bath of Oxalic Aciid (Wood Bleach). There’s all sorts of info here on the CABE if you search the forum on using OA to treat rust. Like I said, I don’t mess with batteries; just use the tank etc for aesthetics. Steel will scratch chrome whereas brass won’t; it’s a matter of softness. I did nothing to the chrome once I got the clear coat off. You’ll never get it perfectly restored back to original so just get close. Let me know if you want to take the springer apart to clean it.

YES, I do want to take the springer apart - is there a technique or trick?

You all are correct that what I thought was chrome peeling on the frame is the clear coat. I guess with the steel wool I dulled it down. I do have chrome peeling off on rear rack chrome frame. It looks like the painted rack just kinda "clips" on the chrome rack frame?? How is that taken apart?

THANKS!

Back