When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me with detective work. The Pedal Pusher Newport Beach, CA

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When I lived in Ocean Beach in 1972 there was a Strand theater by the beach where after midnight they would lock the door, show a movie and let the movie goers smoke pot while watching the movie. Pretty sure that was illegal in 72. But it was a hippie culture 50 years ago. Maybe that is still a culture in S. California. I don't remember if the Strand Theater was a chain of theaters through out California.

The Ocean Front sidewalk/bike path that runs from Newport Beach to Huntington Beach is often referred to as the Strand.
Not so much anymore, mostly older folks still call it that.
It was also called the Boardwalk, even though it is made of poured concrete.
It may have actually been built out of old railroad ties at one time, but never in my memory.
It has always been a concrete bike path, that is still referred to as the Boardwalk, or the Strand.
Strand Culture was just the Beach Culture. Surfers and Sunbathers, hanging out at the beach.
The Strand/Boardwalk, was just the way we got around and ran into eachother.
No Internet or Cell Phones, back in those days.
You had a 47 Schwinn DX, if you wanted to go see somebody.
Usually to get some Surfboard Wax or a Thai Stick.

The Ocean Front sidewalk/bike path that runs from Newport Beach to Huntington Beach is often referred to as the Strand.
Not so much anymore, mostly older folks still call it that.
It was also called the Boardwalk, even though it is made of poured concrete.
It may have actually been built out of old railroad ties at one time, but never in my memory.
It has always been a concrete bike path, that is still referred to as the Boardwalk, or the Strand.
Strand Culture was just the Beach Culture. Surfers and Sunbathers, hanging out at the beach.
The Strand/Boardwalk, was just the way we got around and ran into eachother.
No Internet or Cell Phones, back in those days.
You had a 47 Schwinn DX, if you wanted to go see somebody.
Usually to get some Surfboard Wax or a Thai Stick.
Yup “let’s go cruise the strand” ours was Torrance beach through redondo , Hermosa (the street addresses are 100… “the strand”), Manhattan beach, and all the way to elsugundo - bike path , called it the same cruising cars along the same routes & Thai Sticks , humbolt skunk, yes no doubt 💨💨💨 ✌🏻☮️

What does the Strand culture refer to?

When I was pre-teen to just before I took off to Central America when I turned 18...

It meant.... The best life a teenage boy could ever dream of!!!

Leaving CDM on the cruisers , dropping down onto Balboa Island. We'd (Bro's, partners in crime) would stop at that 60 or seventy year old bakery on the Island, eat a pastry and mill about with morning gathering of locals before taking the ferry over to the peninsula.

If there was a swell, we would ride out to the Wedge then swim out for some "barrel rides".
Afterward, we would spend HOURS riding the strand!!! Talking to "inland" girls, sharing J's, crashing parties. etc.

It makes perfect sense that it turned into a "culture".... And I feel VERY BLESSED to have experienced it first hand!

cruiser-ad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back