When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please Help ID my childhood Klunker

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
juvela my birth place is Victoria 65 vintage. The city is whimsical charming mysterious and acts older than it really is imho. I had to leave in 77. Growing up on bikes in Victoria in the 70s are some of my fondest memories. I had finally worked my way up from a walking basket to front bike rack to a news paper stand outside the old McGill and Orme Pharmacy. It was a cash cow on the weekends. I would play in the arcade until I figured it was time to go get more papers. We would decorate our bikes for the Victoria Day parade and try to get on the evening news ha. One year i rode beside the wax Queen Victoria on her carriage and made the grade. Victoria has become much busier but it was and still is a bike city. I’m in Tulip town La Conner. 33 miles as the crow flies from downtown Victoria.

-----

La Conner was what was writing of in reference to the blue birdbath.

Oak Harbor was about as far N as ventured in me last visit to Whidbey.

-----

Good day juvela, I have a hunch where that fountain is.
The surroundings are still fresh and new so will need to verify.
Ok I believe the mystery has been solved on my childhood Klunker ID. However still searching for the replacement.
After researching Sears Roebuck and eliminating the 1970’s line of Spyders and Spirit bikes it became apparent that the 60s offerings were lugged bikes. I was unable to locate a “stingray” style but the 3 speed bikes had the same lugging and head as the Puch muscle bike which in turn was the same as the Executive.
Here are the Puch Sears bikes that helped identify the lugging and and head style.

These tin fork caps appear correct

I am relatively convinced this 1971 Puch branded muscle bike

and this 1971 Executive branded muscle bike are in fact of my bikes origin.

It appears the Steyr line was non lug and Puch line was lug. I have seen many of the Steyr non lug rebranded to Royce Union, Iverson and several others.

In conclusion these 2 bikes appear to be the same as my original machine.
The Shimano 333 hub was added by me or it was a wish not yet realized. It’s been 45 years and I have been as honest with myself about the details as possible.

I am always open to critique or comment if anyone has anything to add or question. My eyes are burnt out of my head from looking at bikes. Thanks for the messages and allowing me to throw all these reference links up on your site. I am enjoying several sections of this forum and will be showing up hopefully on other threads now that this one is coming to a conclusion. I look forward to future posts on European muscle bikes being added to this thread. If anyone has a lead on a bike or frame it will be rewarded and very much appreciated. As a new Caber (lil knee scuffed) I tried to share the search in hope it may help others in the future rather than glean and go

Today I’m off to pick up a 88 Panasonic Mountain Cat because my Nishiki Colorado is getting gifted. My wife still has here 88 Rock Hopper Comp so we do ride a little bit but up to Caber snuff yet ! I’m going make commuter/cruisers out of the non suspension Mountain Bikes.
thanks for the space Cabers
Kerry

B2F49E9A-0CDA-43EF-AE6C-AB724944D508.jpeg

53CD2336-2C53-456D-B5B1-C4C44E7C3901.jpeg

CC416105-3255-48F0-AC90-823D78B58E67.jpeg

FB82D70A-4DD9-4627-9A1E-6DD22503CA0F.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

G'Day Kerry,

Looks like you have been giving ye olde deerstalker chapeau a good bit o' exercise.

Unclear to me if you yet think your machine a BRC branded cycle which was manufactured in Graz or if you now think it must have been a Simpsons which was constructed there. Have never heard of any Graz built cycles done for BRC.

The purple Scheuer you found is the first have heard tell of to be made by Steyr. Had thought their euro-source products limited to German made cycles done by Bauer and Dutch ones done by Batavus.

Note that the Scheuer examples you have cited all appear to exhibit Thompson type chainsets while your childhood machine appears to have a cottered drive side crank arm.

One simple check you can make when doing an in person exam is to check the diameter of the frame's steerer. A Steyr product will have one of 26.0mm diameter and no other makers employ this size.

Styria/Steyr/Puch & Austro-Daimler all emanate from a single source.

Happy explorin'!

-----

Last edited:
Hello juvela,
Your review makes apparent that I have not come up with an exact match yet. I am happy to satisfy the frame shape to include lugging and ornate head. Now are these examples exact to my frame ? Unsure but odds are very good. The Puch and Executive do not have the same cotter drive side arm like my bike but rather the Thompson type. I am yet to source a banana seat style bike with frame features AND the crank arm and chain set of my bike as you have noted juvela
I am thinking that Sears brought in a lot of this manufacturers bikes and even though Sears does not seem to have carried the European banana seat bikes some stores did like Canadian tire with the Executive. So my unclear answer is yes still believe BRC may have the complete package in the form of their boys Jaguar but I have yet to see one like the Executive and Puch for a frame design comparison. Here are a couple of bikes if interest.. a Deeley cruiser and BRC example but again we have a larger? Cruiser bike frame and girls Jaguar banana seat. I need a little dialing in me thinks ha. Feel free
If it’s a scratch build I’ll just need the frame and then can source the cottered drive side crank chain system. It would be nice to find the exact whole bike no doubt !

Triumph/Raleigh sold by Deeley https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/bik/7561074499.html

BRC boys banana seat no lug

BRC girls banana seat with lug

The upright cruiser type 3 speed bikes for Sears Roebuck and BRC seem to be lugged consistently. If there was a boys version of this lug frame Gold girls BRC banana seat bike it would be the same as my bike by process of elimination ? Make sense or not so much ha

This Gold BRC cruiser is likely to be the same manufacturer as the above girls banana seat bike. These look like the Sears Roebuck to me ?

3AD20D25-9F91-46A6-A6BB-4B4D6B171AD8.png

7A3CECBC-08DC-4C64-A83B-15CCE159F7EA.png

It appears that some of the BRC are Raleigh bikes based on some matches on the head lugging. The girls Jaguar above is an example. The boys Jaguar example I have in the same color is Stelber type non lug head. The Japanese connection seems to be after 1972.
This Hercules banana seat bike made by Raleigh has the tin fork caps as opposed to the eye hole style on the Rodeos.
The lugging on my bike and in particular the head appears more like the Raleigh than the Steyr Daimler Puch types now.
Here is another candidate. Terrible pics but the frame and head should be lugged like the other Raleigh and made by Raleigh bikes

Last edited:
And back to the drawing board based on the curved lower double tubes. I was willing to pay waaaay too much for that Hercules.

906A06FC-F73B-4AC3-BA65-B5D891787F8A.jpeg

-----

shape of fork crown and fork crown cap on your cycle pretty much eliminates any Raleigh Industries origin, regardless of how badged

-----

Good afternoon juvela,
Thanks so much on the redirect and weigh in.
The Raleigh’s were popular on the island. You have repeatedly indicated the answer to search is the head and it’s unique ornate lugging. I was unable to find any Raleigh, BCR or CCM bikes with my machines frame shape. I continue to read about Steyr and your many contributions to Cabe archives on the subject. I researched the Japanese connection as you suggested. If Sears had a late 60’s boys cruiser sourced from their Steyr line it would be a candidate. The Spyder and Spirit line are non lugged. I’m going to look into Eatons and possibly the Hudson’s Bay to see if they had a line of Steyr/Puch/Daimler Banana seat or cruiser bicycles. I ruled out the Canadian Tire bikes after looking at all the catalogues. The Executive sold at Belkin in the USA and the Puch badged banana seat bikes remain the only likely candidates to date.
This thread is serving as scratch notes as I plunder the internet ha

It appears that not all of the Steyr and Puch offerings were lugged late 60-early 70’s. This bike appears to be the frame design as my machine and previous posted Purple Executive and Green Puch with Thompson Cranks.

Green Puch with lugged frame

Last edited:
Back