When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

phantom front caliper brakes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I am in the camp that they are a poor choice if you have a springer fork. They lack stopping power and add too much "bounce" for me.

Fork add-on brakes depend a great deal on how robust the mounting clamps/brackets are made and how tightly they fit to the fork. Look carefully at the mounting before relying on them. The sign of bad or ill-fitting add-on brakes will be that they buckle forward under load or shift in-out with use. I have used a few different types of add-on brakes over the years and the universal with them is you need to be careful of your mounting set up and do a little testing before really relying on them. The same is true of standard calipers or drums but the aftermarket nature of the add-on brakes means you really have to be careful about proper fit.

do you have them on your bike?
I have owned and ridden them in the past. I installed an NOS in the box set that I had on a Panther for a while. Between the lack of power and scuffing of the rim sidewalls is why I ultimately sold them. Changed the pads to modern ones after a while but then they looked really out of place. The other bike that had them was a pitina monster and they honestly had no hope of ever performing like they would have new. Rusty cables, rusty pivots etc.

I am in the camp that they are a poor choice if you have a springer fork. They lack stopping power and add too much "bounce" for me.

@Risk Man For the brakes on a Whizzer you could incorporate disk brakes, both front and rear. Not original, but they would stop you.
I have disc brakes on my new 2 cylinder engine motor bike builds. But not sure how to add a disk to these old S-2 hubs front or rear? Then the other challenge (which i have done with custom brackets on beach cruiser 2 stroke builds) is mounting the disc calipers. Of course the tabs could be welded on, but I am still stuck in my master woodworker's shop mode since starting on the bikes a year ago and have not gotten to welding yet! Thanks for the suggestions.

If you use Schwinn caliper brakes be careful to use the right brackets. The bracket on the right is for springer tubular fork and has a set screw to help prevent rotation.

one if not all of the original Mt. Tam downhill Klunkers in the Marin Museum of Bicycling have these brakes on them. I put a set on my 41 Schwinn to be cool like Joe Breeze and his '41 that is in the museum. mine have original hard as rocks pads and I just bolted them on and made no adjustments, so performance is marginal.

there is a lot of monkey motion in the cables the way Schwinn put them together. way too much housing. I have seen these brakes set up more like a older mountain bike with housings only from the brake lever to a mount on the stem, I am sure that works much better.

some day I will fiddle with them an replace the pads to get them more functional. mostly I put then on to look cool.

Back