When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why so many December ‘80 frames?

-
It's DDDY............................ Been this way from beginning to end.
I believe the last digit is the year. 3660. I believe the last digit is the year. 3660.

It's DDDY............................ Been this way from beginning to end.
Nope, yup U are correct on the badge number system, but Schwinn is sort of wrong or rather, using a modified system for converting between Julian and Gregorian date formats

I never realized it before as I usually refer to my Schwinn badges to site the direction of the numbers, but for Schwinn it is; DDDY (Day, Day, Day, Year). Go figure? I mean, up until about 12 years ago and dating Schwinn badges, I had not bothered about the Julian date code since 3rd grade so, I've never actually checked.

That too splains why some people have had trouble when directed to the Julain Date code which both U and I have referred to in the past. Schwinn's year number, from bottom; DDDY to the top, is Julian code back-assward.

'Sadly' it's 3rd grade stuff.
Schwinn's badge dating is actually incorrect, up-side-down or backward B/C Jilian Date code always, since the beginning of its time, converting our Georgian Calander, begins with Century, if needed: (C), then year (Y) followed by 365 or leap year 366 (DDD) YDDD' vs Schwin's days ending with year DDDY.

😉

Last edited:
I'll try to grab some more pictures tomorrow but these are some more pictures I had snapped before reassembling.

View attachment 1654058

View attachment 1654059

View attachment 1654060

View attachment 1654061
I got busy these last couple days but here are 2 additional pictures- the stem and front hub.

20220630_141042.jpg

20220630_142604.jpg

Thanks for the additional pictures @StrayDog ! This piece is a complete mystery and I really think you should start a thread for this unbelievable piece posting all the pictures and any background on its history that you may have. This is more interesting than a bunch of Sting Rays that were produced in Black! A Schwinn Strike Bike! 😆 How did it happen? Seriously, I think this deserves its own thread to save the history of it being produced. I know of another rare piece that was produced in 1963 and only one of those has shown up.

Thanks for the additional pictures @StrayDog ! This piece is a complete mystery and I really think you should start a thread for this unbelievable piece posting all the pictures and any background on its history that you may have. This is more interesting than a bunch of Sting Rays that were produced in Black! A Schwinn Strike Bike! 😆 How did it happen? Seriously, I think this deserves its own thread to save the history of it being produced. I know of another rare piece that was produced in 1963 and only one of those has shown up.
Hey GTs58,

This one definitely had me confused when I noticed the head badge a few weeks ago. Once I realized how odd of an occurrence it would be, I started going through every picture of head badges I had saved (from personal bikes I own and those I had saved or took a screenshot of from the internet). I am going to continue to search for late-dated head badges from 1980 in hope's of finding another. Maybe I'll create a spreadsheet for the latest 1980 build and earliest 1981 build (based on head badges) so we can try to learn more about schwinn production at this particular time.

I will also take your advice and make a thread for this particular bicycle for future reference /research information. I reached out to the previous owner of this bicycle and I will try to trace this bicycle back to the original owner for more information as well.

Hey GTs58,

This one definitely had me confused when I noticed the head badge a few weeks ago. Once I realized how odd of an occurrence it would be, I started going through every picture of head badges I had saved (from personal bikes I own and those I had saved or took a screenshot of from the internet). I am going to continue to search for late-dated head badges from 1980 in hope's of finding another. Maybe I'll create a spreadsheet for the latest 1980 build and earliest 1981 build (based on head badges) so we can try to learn more about schwinn production at this particular time.

I will also take your advice and make a thread for this particular bicycle for future reference /research information. I reached out to the previous owner of this bicycle and I will try to trace this bicycle back to the original owner for more information as well.
It's a good idea but, to serve the entire purpose, I think a new topic about all models of Chicago made1980/1 frames that are badged with date codes after the strike; October 25 1980 and as reported; 3 months later, I don't know exactly but around February 1981.

I mean if only Cruisers then the search becomes limited to a lessor group whereas the bigger the better should provide quicker result to this mysterious period. .

Hey GTs58,

Your Cruiser's birthday is coming up, so we need to plan the party before we make the announcement. The Schwinn Strike Bike is going to be 42 years old! 🙃

Your Cruiser's birthday is coming up, so we need to plan the party before we make the announcement. The Schwinn Strike Bike is going to be 42 years old! 🙃
I’ll definitely be taking it for spin on that day! Feels great knowing I can ride something that was made in the good ol’ USofA 42 years ago!

Also, on a side note, I’ve been archiving photos of 80 and 81 badges still - I might start a thread asking those who would like to include photos of their own (80 and 81 badges). It might shed a little more light as to the production and schedule of late 80 to early 81 in Chicago.

I just picked this one up. It isn't quite the bike I wanted but I bought it from a 82 year old Marine Vet that rode the beach all the time. He got sick and couldn't ride anymore, So, I am going to clean it up and make it my new beach cruiser, #MR909685, Dec 1980. I am guessing it is a Cruiser model. It does have skinnier wheels (stamped made in china). So first thing I will need to find are some S-2's.

Edit: There are no numbers on the badge. Guessing it was replaced at some point

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

Back