When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pharis Tire and Rubber snake belly tires - stock or aftermarket equipment?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I believe Carlisle bought out Pharis tire company. They continues the same style tire but changed the Pharis Mark to Carlisle.

Apparently it was the other way around and Pharis bought out Carlisle. From Wiki:

Carlisle Companies Incorporated has a history which began in 1917, when Charles S. Moomy opened Carlisle Tire and Rubber Company in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to sell inner tubes to Montgomery Ward and Company. With thirty employees Carlisle Tire and Rubber Company began producing automobile inner tubes. The Company continued to grow and prosper through the 1920s.

With the Stock Market crash of 1929 and the beginning of the Depression, Carlisle Tire and Rubber, like most other companies during that era, found itself in a desperate struggle to stay afloat. Near the end of the 1930s, in order to avoid bankruptcy, Moomy turned all of his common and preferred stock over to the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia which by then, as the largest shareholder, had control of the Company.

The end of the depression and the beginning of World War II forced changes upon the rubber industry. Japan cut off 95% of the natural rubber supply from the East Indies, forcing Carlisle, along with other companies, to seek other sources. In December 1945, Carlisle began to manufacture inner tubes using synthetic rubber.

Carlisle Tire and Rubber was purchased by Pharis Tire and Rubber Company in 1943 for $330,000. But significant losses followed and in 1949, the Board of Directors decided to liquidate the company. All Carlisle stock was distributed to the Pharis stockholders and the company was officially renamed Carlisle Corporation. In 1946, Carlisle purchased a company that produced molded friction products that are used on traditional brake shoes and thus began the starting point of what today is Carlisle Brake & Friction. This also ushered in a new phase for Carlisle as they began growing as a diversified manufacturing company.

I have a 37 Schwinn Motorbike that came in great original condition. It has those exact tires. Factory or after market? Thx

wahoo those tire looks awesome 😎, love those , i wish a company would spend time and money repopping some good old tire like those

The company was around in 20-30. Did they make bike tires then?
It doesn't matter if the company was around then, models of tires come and go. I believe the tire specs as originally equipped for your Schwinn should be listed in the 1937 Schwinn catalog.

I sold some original Shelby literature to John Atkinson where the 40-41 Safety bike and no nose had Pherris snake belly tires

Back