When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Bendix two speed hub rebuild

-
This is mostly a guess based on what I've encountered and judging by your hub's appearance of not being too abused....but I imagine it's locked up due to someone using heavy grease on the driver/clutch threads and letting it sit to dry up. First I'd recommend taking the clip ring off that holds the drive side dust cover on, and the dust cover will pull off. Lay it over drive side up and douse the internals with penetrating oil. Let it soak up whatever it will through the outer bearing race opening and in between the hub shell and sprocket. This will help loosen any dried up clay-like grease, at least enough to make disassembly easier. Give it some time to wick down into the hub and then try to rotate whichever side will free up first. When removing the drive side cone, you may have to rotate it counter clockwise a bit(to where it binds) then rotate the sprocket and hub clockwise while holding the brake arm and cone still to undo the binding induced in the clutch/driver....and repeat until the planetary gears are disengaged (approximately 1/2").

Hope this helps!
Would appreciate a phone call for some coaching on this little projects - 260.224.0232

Reactions: ian
Have you tried taking a chain ( or cassette wrench if you have one ) to really get a good grip? I'm actually doing a yellow band now and had the same problem. The locknut came off as normal and the cone nut was not turning at all. Weird how this happens, but ya the last rebuild ( prolly 40 years ago!) was done all with heavy grease.
I just kept twisting the cog one way / cone nut the other with an emphasis on the correct direction. It finally started come off.

Have you tried taking the brake side apart first? I just overhauled a yellow band and red band over the last two days with a few hickups... I love these hubs !!
Can’t quite figure out how to get that side opened up. By chance are you available anytime tomorrow for a phone call “coaching” session? 260.224.0232

The most likely reason for one to "lock up" (hard lock up) is that it was ridden "without a brake arm strap. The loose arm spins around, and the axle spins inside the knurled rightside adjustling cone. This "over tightens" the hub bearing adjustment (crushes everything). You can take this hub apart from either side. You need to remove the left side lock nut, remove the brake arm, put the left cone in a vise, use a 7/8" wrench on the right side adjusting cone and unscrew the cone. As previously stated, it helps to roll the wheel back and forth while you unscrew the cones. Clean it up. Grease the bearings. Oil the brake disc's (grease makes them drag), make sure the three detents are still intact on the indexing spring. The indexing spring is the most common wear part in the three versions of this hub.

John

Back