When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

-
Worked on this crusty Schwinn Dx “ Badged Majestic” I picked up Saturday. Had to replace the skiptooth chain, straighten chainring. Took off guard and straightened it. The seat was just a pan and not correct, found a Frankenstein seat I had that is period correct and fits patina of bike. Continued cleaning frame, tank, fenders, guard and rims.with wd and 600 grit wet dry paper. Smoothed crust on bars , light cleaning on chrome . Put some black fat franks tires on. Just need to clean a little more , apply some boiled linseed oil and find a torpedo headlight and rear reflector. At some point I’ll straighten rear fender and re grease. Rides good now! 1758230

Been a minute since I've had a bike in the stand... I did have the sticks on the bench for a good tune and wax before our trip out to Utah last week...

IMG_7002.jpg

Nearly 200" in Big Cottonwood Canyon by mid December... Yee Haw! And our daughter absolutely crushed it! Nothing like smiles and family runs till last chair! Who needs pizza when you got french fries 😎

@SKPC about time you packed it up out there and head east!

I spent the afternoon yesterday beginning the tedious task of internal parts cleaning on JC Piggins. The ultrasonic cleaner was a life saver as all the grease was hard as a rock. The rear hub wouldn't come apart the normal way. It came loose from the brake side as the clutch was glued to the driver with hardened grease. I had to use a heat gun from inside & when it got hot enough the driver unscrewed itself with gravity.

Apparently pics of the chain & a couple other parts are too big to upload.....

Got the hubs polished & half way up the spokes.

Will clean up the rims & other half of spokes and nipples after I put the hubs together & true the wheels.

Had a moment when my heart skipped a beat. There was a sticky substance around the head tube so I sprayed it with Simple green to clean it off, let it sit for a moment & wiped. It took some paint with it! 🤯 You can still see some of the sticky residue around the badge & bearing cups. I don't have another badge so not sure what I'm going to do about that yet...

On a positive note, the front tire is in great shape & will likely reuse.🙂

I spent the afternoon yesterday beginning the tedious task of internal parts cleaning on JC Piggins. The ultrasonic cleaner was a life saver as all the grease was hard as a rock. The rear hub wouldn't come apart the normal way. It came loose from the brake side as the clutch was glued to the driver with hardened grease. I had to use a heat gun from inside & when it got hot enough the driver unscrewed itself with gravity. View attachment 1758321

View attachment 1758323
Apparently pics of the chain & a couple other parts are too big to upload.....

Got the hubs polished & half way up the spokes. View attachment 1758322

Will clean up the rims & other half of spokes and nipples after I put the hubs together & true the wheels. View attachment 1758319

Had a moment when my heart skipped a beat. There was a sticky substance around the head tube so I sprayed it with Simple green to clean it off, let it sit for a moment & wiped. It took some paint with it! 🤯 You can still see some of the sticky residue around the badge & bearing cups. I don't have another badge so not sure what I'm going to do about that yet...View attachment 1758324

On a positive note, the front tire is in great shape & will likely reuse.🙂View attachment 1758320
I have one you can have if you want.

The other day, when I was going to work on the 37 Colson, and the cold front hit, I left it out in the yard. It sat through 40+ hours of sub freezing temperatures and then over the next few days it never got above 35.

Anyway I noticed some paint loss today.

Kinda interesting.

Worked on this crusty Schwinn Dx “ Badged Majestic” I picked up Saturday. Had to replace the skiptooth chain, straighten chainring. Took off guard and straightened it. The seat was just a pan and not correct, found a Frankenstein seat I had that is period correct and fits patina of bike. Continued cleaning frame, tank, fenders, guard and rims.with wd and 600 grit wet dry paper. Smoothed crust on bars , light cleaning on chrome . Put some black fat franks tires on. Just need to clean a little more , apply some boiled linseed oil and find a torpedo headlight and rear reflector. At some point I’ll straighten rear fender and re grease. Rides good now!View attachment 1758230
View attachment 1758231

View attachment 1758232
Great effort well worth the time looks cool and will enjoy long time! Another one saved and enjoyed. Thank you

Back