When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1971 Schwinn Grey Ghost Stingray Muscle bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Shipping
varies
Zipcode
my logic on this...

On ebay... sold examples with Repop tires, wrong pedals, rechromed junk ...decals not screened...
way crappier restos in other words....bring over 4k
Aside from new paint, this baby is OG.
wrong place to sell these krate bikes here methinks
This is one of several right places to sell the bike and you have a very legit offer at $3K
  • $3K here and you require a money order or cash as payment - it's free and clear, no fees, all in your pocket, or
  • maybe a $4K sale price on Ebay, pay 13% or $520 in fees, you are down to under $3.5K, but you'll get this included in your 1099K reported to the IRS
Either way, you are supposed to pay taxes on profits.......I know which path I'd take here every time

GLWS Bob, it's a very nice bike indeed for what it is, repainted

Last edited:
Sold mine here for way less ,still doesn't sit right in my gut , You hang on as long as you want Mr.Bob !, don't matter what the final price price is ,these don't come up for sale much that's why they're called a Ghost!

Rafael ~

40068-20160715-072057.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of several right places to sell the bike and you have a very legit offer at $3K
  • $3K here and you require a money order or cash as payment - it's free and clear, no fees, all in your pocket, or
  • maybe a $4K sale price on Ebay, pay 13% or $520 in fees, you are down to under $3.5K, but you'll get this included in your 1099K reported to the IRS
Either way, you are supposed to pay taxes on profits.......I know which path I'd take here every time

One thing to keep in mind on ebay...always mention that it's for sale/ offered on other platforms...Soshmedi'Duh', Cabe, CL whatever...
and more often than not Ebay is just a broadcast platform which gives you opportunities to sell off ebay if you play your cards right...
it's a nice bike... can't do 3k on this one

Bob makes good points there. Also, by the discussion the bike is close to buyer. He can look it over and decide. eBay, chances are it’s far away. Then you pay shipping, then look it over. We all have a story about something we bought on eBay that was somewhat less then we hoped. I know I’d sooner buy something I can see.

One thing to keep in mind on ebay...always mention that it's for sale/ offered on other platforms...Soshmedi'Duh', Cabe, CL whatever...
and more often than not Ebay is just a broadcast platform which gives you opportunities to sell off ebay if you play your cards right...
Good point Bob, much wider net cast using Ebay, one of the main appeals to using them initially. It's a damn shame they got so greedy with the fees and people have to game them, but I understand.

Because of the fees and the recent 1099 crap, I quit using Ebay last year and if I ever do again, will take your advice to mention those other platforms, thanks

GLWS!

I always pay too much, but that's my curse. I paid WAY North of $3K for an almost identical respray. Up here at the North Pole we have to pay a premium because these bikes ( and most rareish U.S.A. made bikes of vintage) are few and far between. Still, this bike looks incredible and Bob is as honest as the day is long. Personally 3K is WAY too low even if it stays stateside. Sorry to the dude who offered that. I don't need another one but this one has quite a ways to go in my humble opinion. These muscle bikes, especially the rare 1 year ones, restored or not are in the groove right now. Boomers. Hang in there Bobarino. If it doesn't go on the Cabe, take it to a 60's/70's car show/swap meet and watch the sharks circle and get closer to it's true value which I think is well North of $4K and I wish I paid that low for mine!

np5.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

Respectfully....... that makes sense but $3k is still too low I think. Obviously so does Bob. Bob makes his living doing this. It's not a hobby in total. Guys that depend on what a bike sells for to buy their beans and gasoline can stand up taller with what is $$ acceptable. "Legit offer" doesn't pay the bills.

DOND is what it is. If it was TWIO ( Take What Is Offered) then that's different. How would we feel if our DOND or outright sale posts were "scrutinized" and lowballed by the Cabe masses? I'd say play nice or move on. Bob has been in the trenches for decades and deserves respect and tasteful opinions. I'm serious here.

To finish on a lighter joke, Yes, I am on Bob's payroll!! Ha!! As he is on mine. Old school Bob's need to stand together. Have a nice day all! and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Back