When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grey Ghost - MG Disc

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I looked for multiple "Likes" on posts in this thread.
Pile 'em up...😍
Where's the pics?
Very Visual, i am....
tryin' to learn.🤓
IMG_0005.jpg

I looked for multiple "Likes" on posts in this thread.
Pile 'em up...😍
Where's the pics?
Very Visual, i am....
tryin' to learn.🤓
View attachment 1767648
He pulled the pictures , he was not happy with the way the post was going. It is a beautiful Dec. '71 stamped Grey ghost. GG only offered in '71 the late date and '72 accessories led to some questions about the year and authenticity

I am going out on a limb here, trying to magically calm troubled waters.
The pics were pulled by the OP due to a disagreement over the existence of Disc Brake Grey Ghosts since they were 1971 only.
Disc Brake Krates did not start until the 1972 model year .

Could both sides of the aisle be right here?

In High School I had a GG Disc Brake Orange Krate. "But Rob, that is easier to believe since Orange Krates continued on thru 1972 in Kool Orange and 1973 in Sunset Orange". My bike could've just as easily been left in the Grey base and been a Grey Ghost. The grey was NOT a special color.

True, but the real conflict isn't the color, it is prevailing theory here on whether or not a December 1971 bike was meant to sell as a 1971 or a 1972 model by Schwinn.

In the 1950s /early 1960s the answer wouldve been the next model year because frames sometimes did not become bikes for 2-3 months.
Things changed in the 1960s-1970s with the improved manufacturing processes and massive sales especially of Stingrays and Krates.

for instance the 1,000,000th Schwinn in 1968 was built on December 10th and obviously was sold as a 1968 even though Krates around it had 1969^ seats and accessories.
The manufacturing date precedent was set by Schwinn then.

Forward to December 1971. The next point made was did the bike sell at the 1971 or 1972 price point? I believe if it had 1972 options that would put it at the 1972 price point. I am sure some, like GTs58 would disagree but I do not care. The point would be that it was built and shipped out in 1971 so it was a 1971 bicycle. A side note is that Schwinn had calipers and discs coming in mid year, I personally owned 2 disc hubs dated 6-71. Also, a customer could've ordered a Grey Ghost and by the time that order hit the line they were producing Disc Krates so it went out as one.

So, NOT involving myself in the question of whether or not @indycycling has an original paint 1971 Grey Ghost Disc Brake bike or a repainted one, I will say that @indycycling could have a real 1971 Disc Ghost that by the time it sold went out the door at the 1972 price point so both @indycycling and Grey Ghost could be correct in their beliefs.

Remember everyone, I am trying to be mediator here not antagonist so don't hate on the messenger.

I can go on, if anyone has a point I made that needs clarifying. I end this post here so it doesn't offend a certan person/persons by being 5 pages long, off topic and all about me. You know who you are.
Rob

Last edited:
Let’s put it this way. If 2 GG showed up on the CABE for sale. both with very late similar stampings. Both with original head plates, similar dates. One is advertised like Indy presented his. With the disc. The other one is offered as we know they came. Caliper. However, the caliper bike offered has note in the ad. It says, also offered with this bike, is an early stamp caliper set, complete. We are assuming both bike are in the same condiction. Indy has stated a nice repaint gg is 3000 dollars. So the caliper bike is offered for 3000. With the disc it is offered for 5000.
Thats a fair price, give or take Then the bike with said factory disc bike is offered for 7000. So you could have the same bike for 5000, or 7000. Follow along. IF we are to believe that Indy bike is real, that would be the holy grail. 2 grand is a deal. also offered with the Indy bike is copies of all we have discussed here As proof of what he has. Would you pay 2000 more for his bike? You can weigh all you’ve heard and learned in the past week. With what has been said, or shown, make you spend 2000 more for that bike? After you mull that around, and arrive at your conclusion, that will tell you how you truly feel. its your money now. What would you do?

Schwinn had the best photographer. The right size kid and camera angle to make that bike look full and tough. You really wanted to be him. So cool.

Back