When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROBIN HOOD

-
I have owned one just like that bike for over 40 years. Bought it at an auction for $15.
With that said, I will likely die with it. Mine came with a period correct rear rack, Wright saddle, and Dunlop tires, all of which are still on it today.
I also own a slightly newer Raleigh Sports, riding wise, I really see little difference. The frame is likely the same other than the decals.
Mine came with an original Lucas Cyclometer.
Robin Hood was a brand that was absorbed by Raleigh years ago, like so many other English brands brought into the fold they were essentially the same bike sold at a discount or as a way to better cover the market.
For instance, if Raleigh had a dealer selling their bikes, and the guy a block away wanted to compete, they set him up as a Robin Hood or other brand dealer. As a kid, we had two Raleigh dealers in town, one sold several English brands, plus a few other dealers who sold one or two of the sub-brands of Raleigh. There was Raleigh, then under that Rudge, Robin Hood, Hercules, Norman, Philips, Armstrong, Sunbeam, BSA, Triumph, and a few others were all brands that were eventually part of the same group and made very similar bikes, if not simply rebadged versions of the same bike. Headbadges, decals, and front sprockets, and sometimes saddles and accessories were all that differed between most of them.

These bikes were all well built, proven designs built to last a lifetime.
I currently own a half dozen or so in all, some have come and gone, but the Robin Hood has stayed and been my favorite over the years. I just recently tore it apart for a long overdue service and cleaning.

I have owned one just like that bike for over 40 years. Bought it at an auction for $15.
With that said, I will likely die with it. Mine came with a period correct rear rack, Wright saddle, and Dunlop tires, all of which are still on it today.
I also own a slightly newer Raleigh Sports, riding wise, I really see little difference. The frame is likely the same other than the decals.
Mine came with an original Lucas Cyclometer.
Robin Hood was a brand that was absorbed by Raleigh years ago, like so many other English brands brought into the fold they were essentially the same bike sold at a discount or as a way to better cover the market.
For instance, if Raleigh had a dealer selling their bikes, and the guy a block away wanted to compete, they set him up as a Robin Hood or other brand dealer. As a kid, we had two Raleigh dealers in town, one sold several English brands, plus a few other dealers who sold one or two of the sub-brands of Raleigh. There was Raleigh, then under that Rudge, Robin Hood, Hercules, Norman, Philips, Armstrong, Sunbeam, BSA, Triumph, and a few others were all brands that were eventually part of the same group and made very similar bikes, if not simply rebadged versions of the same bike. Headbadges, decals, and front sprockets, and sometimes saddles and accessories were all that differed between most of them.

These bikes were all well built, proven designs built to last a lifetime.
I currently own a half dozen or so in all, some have come and gone, but the Robin Hood has stayed and been my favorite over the years. I just recently tore it apart for a long overdue service and cleaning.
Great story. Thanks. Im a life-long Triumph (TR6/Spitfire) collector, would love to find a Triumph bicycle! I saw one at Road America last fall hanging around the paddock with the triumphs.

I've had a few Triumph bicycles, they're not as common as the other brands, at least not around here. The last one I had was early 70's vintage or so, basically identical to my Raleigh but in bright red metallic paint with the Triumph head badge.
It was too small for me, only a 19" frame so I let it go.
Back in the early 80's I worked at a specialty shop during the day that specialized in British cars, I drove a '68 GT6 back then as my 'go to work' car.
I picked up the GT6 from the wife of a customer there who passed away back then, it had 17k on the odometer. It replaced a rust plagued TR5 that I had before it. I got turned onto Triumph by a neighbor where I grew up, his pride and joy was a '54 TR2, My TR5 was a driving project he sold me when I first got my license. I certainly wish I had the GT6 yet today, I sold it in favor of a pickup truck that I needed more, not having a proper garage to keep the GT6 in. I kept it for a while but its being out in the weather and exposed to PA winters wasn't doing it any favors so I let it go.
I also had a few Triumph motorcycles, also all long gone, with the last one sold almost 25 years ago now. I really miss my T140V.

I've had a few Triumph bicycles, they're not as common as the other brands, at least not around here. The last one I had was early 70's vintage or so, basically identical to my Raleigh but in bright red metallic paint with the Triumph head badge.
It was too small for me, only a 19" frame so I let it go.
Back in the early 80's I worked at a specialty shop during the day that specialized in British cars, I drove a '68 GT6 back then as my 'go to work' car.
I picked up the GT6 from the wife of a customer there who passed away back then, it had 17k on the odometer. It replaced a rust plagued TR5 that I had before it. I got turned onto Triumph by a neighbor where I grew up, his pride and joy was a '54 TR2, My TR5 was a driving project he sold me when I first got my license. I certainly wish I had the GT6 yet today, I sold it in favor of a pickup truck that I needed more, not having a proper garage to keep the GT6 in. I kept it for a while but its being out in the weather and exposed to PA winters wasn't doing it any favors so I let it go.
I also had a few Triumph motorcycles, also all long gone, with the last one sold almost 25 years ago now. I really miss my T140V.
well at age 75 now, I have started with old bicycles instead of daily chores to do on Triumphs. I sold my Spitfire a year ago to a guy in Puerto Rico (using the BringATrailer auction site). I realized I had no stick shift cars anymore! ........ so I turned around and found a 2008 Mazda MX5GT with the convertible hardtop in Fort Wayne Indiana. It was listed 2 hours before I found it and grabbed it immediately (only 12k miles). Photo is the day it arrived last August (lots done since). Miata is a good low maintenance alternative.

IMG_2290.jpg

Wow. Mine is coming along nicely but won’t be this nice. I’ve used paint clay and polishing compound, being careful around the sun stripes. But doesn’t shine like this triumph. Just got a set of whitewalls that will accent the white paint on the rear fender nicely.

In terms of post-1960 Raleigh sub-brands, the Triumph and Robin Hood both have followings. They were marketed as the budget version of a Raleigh Sports but they retain somewhat of a brand niche. Some of the Triumph car or motorcycle people like having a similarly named bike in their garage, and the Robin Hood name has a connection to English history and literature (not to mention the tv shows, movies, etc). The black paint tends to survive the best of the colors, and people are often surprised how well it comes back with a little treatment.

I had a 1957 ( If I recall) Robin Hood Sherwood Arrow back about 30+ years ago. Sturmey Archer 3 speed, front dyno hub to power the color factory matched headlight and rear light. All original, mainly a light green color with all the bells and whistles. Close to mint, everything worked perfect, chrome like new! If I recall I had original Dunlop whitewalls. Rear carrier, original tan Lysette saddle. Rode like a dream. Quite light and very fast. I wish I had a picture of it.

With Canada ( then) being a British colony, many of our bicycles ( cars and motorcycles) were imported and if not made in Britian, sometimes France, or even Poland. We did enjoy the Raleigh choppers in pretty good numbers back in the day. My Sherwood Arrow was way beyond the "norm" in both condition and availability. I had never seen one as nice then or since.

Like an idiot, I sold it, but I was transitioning from Canadian and British/European bicycles to the more outlandish "motorcycle/space ship" style of the American ballooners. No major regrets and I do have some nice CCM ( Canadian Cycle and Motor company) examples again. Nothing British...."pity". I do have an excellent 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 in my herd. I've owned about 4- BSA folding paratrooper bicycles.

Back