When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grey Ghost - MG Disc

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just goes to show sometimes things are not written in stone, that catalog was done probably July or august of 1970 in preparation for being in stores maybe November For Xmas. So the disc itself is in play very early 1970. Zoe the Schwinn company offered replacement frames for warranty and those were painted Off what ever frame was in the Pile so it it was 71-72-73-74 and you had a ghost you could technically have a 74 ghost and it’s legit. I had a 70 fastback campus green frame that was a warranty frame and it was painted in 74 but paperwork said 1970 serial was 74.

Do you think the painting process changed? The paint booth was enlarged and they painted more bikes in the same time, but the process stayed the same. The paint didn’t dry any faster.
Curious? certainly not a topic I would know about. But how do you know that? When you showed the article from 59 I was wowed. But this is 10 years on. In industry thats a light year.

Curious? certainly not a topic I would know about. But how do you know that? When you showed the article from 59 I was wowed. But this is 10 years on. In industry thats a light year.
There was another article posted about the painting process and that was in the 70s with a picture of the paint booth and nothing but diamond frames being painted. Like I said the process was the same it was just enlarged for volume.

I’ll be intrested to see that when you post it. Goggle Colorrite motorcycle paint. I own that. I’ve had it since 88. The family I bought it from where in the paint business from 1945. Started after the war. we kept all the books, records etc. They sold some of the company to Sherwin Williams . I got the rest. But where I’m going here, is from rhe 50s to the 60s there was am amazing amount of improvement in paint systems. It never stops. From 88 till now, in the time I’ve owned it, we have had to develop 4 paint systems to keep up. The enviourment plays a hand. But before that, it was dictated by ease of use, and drying time. From 59 to 70 paint systems where night and day. Maybe your right, but I wonder why Schwinn wouldn’t take advantage of the breakthroughs? Anyway, I’ll be eager to see that later article. May have some answers

I’ll be intrested to see that when you post it. Goggle Colorrite motorcycle paint. I own that. I’ve had it since 88. The family I bought it from where in the paint business from 1945. Started after the war. we kept all the books, records etc. They sold some of the company to Sherwin Williams . I got the rest. But where I’m going here, is from rhe 50s to the 60s there was am amazing amount of improvement in paint systems. It never stops. From 88 till now, in the time I’ve owned it, we have had to develop 4 paint systems to keep up. The enviourment plays a hand. But before that, it was dictated by ease of use, and drying time. From 59 to 70 paint systems where night and day. Maybe your right, but I wonder why Schwinn wouldn’t take advantage of the breakthroughs? Anyway, I’ll be eager to see that later article. May have some answers
Have you ever heard of the Schwinn reporter? It was a monthly newsletter to all the dealers with information on ordering bikes, Schwinns production practices and everything else involved with the company. I had a good friend that had all of these reporters and if there was a question, he could answer it by posting the written information in these newsletters. He is the one that originally posted that painting information in the 1959 Reporter. He is also the one that posted the one in the 70s which I haven’t been able to find yet. When the Covid virus hit the US my friend disappeared and hasn’t been seen or heard from since. All these reporters were loaded with information and I’m sure some of these guys here never pay any attention to that information when they’re posted. Their fairytale stories would disappear if they read them. When I first got in the hobby I had tons of questions about Schwinn's production practices. The information in those reporters answered more than half of my questions and they also proved my theories before I knew the answer. If I can find that other report that Scott posted, I will definitely post it here.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought a few Reporters at a flea market. They are the best. Imagine being a large dealer then, and getting those. some good news, some bad news. I’d love to find a set of those. 1955-75 would do! Thanks

Aquiring this LG disc Ghost from a long time collector/repair shop. All original including paint. Enough said. Run with it fellas!

20221214_123132.jpg

Back