When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Farewell to an old friend....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm thinking my favorite prewar Schwinn model line... Pivotal design that influenced
the rest of the history of the company. I restored this 38' Autocycle some 20 odd years ago for an over the top Schwinn collector here in Calif. Just found a new place
to roost until the next caretaker comes along. Colors are slightly enhanced, was a bit rainy and cloudy taking these pix, so tried to liven it up some, slight overkill but
pretty close. Neat older restoration with all original parts.
For the archives---

...in response to the offers...yes 38' has found a new home, appreciate all the interest

38.jpg

381.jpg

381a.jpg

382.jpg

382a.jpg

384.jpg

385.jpg

386.jpg

388.jpg

389.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful!
I remember how much I waffled back and forth on the decision to reverse the fender colors when you did my bike.
In the end, I chose the safe route, and went with the standard color scheme.
But, it sure looks good, with the optional reverse paint.
9C8FEEC9-5DE3-4A26-ACAB-1854296C34BD.jpeg

Those are some of the hardest decisions to make when you’re restoring a bike.

Both those bikes are drop dead gorgeous. This could turn into a "Love in" for Bobby U? Ha!! He sure does nice work and Ignaz would smile. ( Note clever early style theft proof chain position on ocean, Cali coast shot.) Who needs "wiser" when you are?

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6206.JPG

This is one of Bob’s early restorations done in 1993ish…it was not done for me. Funny story, much like Marty, when I had Bob restore a jewel tank autocycle for me last year I too waffled on the paint scheme. I originally wanted a reverse green on green scheme like this 1940 but ended up with cold feet and chose the standard green on green scheme and it turned out beautiful…like mind blowing beautiful. In fact, it’s so gorgeous that I have yet to build it up because I don’t know where to put it! Much less risk of scratching it if I store the bike in pieces rather than built and having to jockey it around every time I move a bike…I know, it sounds stupid but it’s a true…it’s like a piece of fine art that needs to be properly displayed or not at all. I’m working it out though…I have a plan and it will be built.

Anyway, back to this bike…a 1940 double drum BA107 Autocycle. this is the paint scheme that I was afraid to do and when I saw it my initial thought was…whew!! I made the right choice sticking with the standard paint scheme. But there was something about this bike that kept me thinking about it. At first I thought it was so loud I needed sunglasses to look at it. Then I saw pics of it in a different light and I thought it was killer and wanted it. Fortunately I had an opportunity to acquire this bike and jumped on it and I couldn’t be happier. Seeing this bike in person is 100 times better than in pictures…this bike was restored 30 years ago and the paint is as strong as if it were done this year. The bike is simply stunning!

Great work Bob! I’m honored to be the caretaker of this beauty!

C0EF6718-2200-4C10-B150-03EF8E3D7DDA.jpeg

D2BEF9DE-153F-4783-8827-FBC155774E57.jpeg

401665CF-F41C-4B6A-B6A8-D7B4D8EE3EE9.jpeg

This is one of Bob’s early restorations done in 1993ish…it was not done for me. Funny story, much like Marty, when I had Bob restore a jewel tank autocycle for me last year I too waffled on the paint scheme. I originally wanted a reverse green on green scheme like this 1940 but ended up with cold feet and chose the standard green on green scheme and it turned out beautiful…like mind blowing beautiful. In fact, it’s so gorgeous that I have yet to build it up because I don’t know where to put it! Much less risk of scratching it if I store the bike in pieces rather than built and having to jockey it around every time I move a bike…I know, it sounds stupid but it’s a true…it’s like a piece of fine art that needs to be properly displayed or not at all. I’m working it out though…I have a plan and it will be built.

Anyway, back to this bike…a 1940 double drum BA107 Autocycle. this is the paint scheme that I was afraid to do and when I saw it my initial thought was…whew!! I made the right choice sticking with the standard paint scheme. But there was something about this bike that kept me thinking about it. At first I thought it was so loud I needed sunglasses to look at it. Then I saw pics of it in a different light and I thought it was killer and wanted it. Fortunately I had an opportunity to acquire this bike and jumped on it and I couldn’t be happier. Seeing this bike in person is 100 times better than in pictures…this bike was restored 30 years ago and the paint is as strong as if it were done this year. The bike is simply stunning!

Great work Bob! I’m honored to be the caretaker of this beauty!

View attachment 1769997

View attachment 1769998

View attachment 1770001
Would love to see your Jewel tank Autocycle built by Mr Bob U .. Any picts ?

Back