When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 Sidewinder 5 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have one of these spec sheets also. Bought it off Ebay 20 years ago - there was no envelope or anything indicating a date. I can snap a photo but it's identical to the one above. Somewhere, I think I may have a Sidewinder dealer poster. I will try and locate it and post a pic

I have a couple of these dealer posters. They are dated 1981

Last edited:
Do you happen to know the month these posters were sent out? They could have been produced late in '81 for the '82 model year, but if they were produced in May or June that might indicate an earlier introduction for the bikes. Either way, nice poster!

No idea when the posters were sent to the dealers? I can only assume it was late in the year.............

Do you happen to know the month these posters were sent out? They could have been produced late in '81 for the '82 model year, but if they were produced in May or June that might indicate an earlier introduction for the bikes. Either way, nice poster!
That looks like the one I have. Thanks for posting! I got in late last night and did not have a chance to look for mine.

Going from memory, my (Chestnut) '82 Sidewinder 5 speed has an October '81 serial #. All the cables have '81 date codes as well. It's all original, down to the very cracked Schwinn Studded Balloons. Has a dealer decal from a shop in Lodi, California. Will check the date code stamped in the badge.

Will try to post some pics this weekend.

I just acquired a 1983 Sidewinder (complete) but I'm restoring it at an '82 simply because the '83 handlebars are ugly as sin, and the decals are not available anywhere for an '83. I happen to have a set of blue SW decals, chrome fork, and handlebar, so I'm mostly good to go. The frame is in desperate need of paint or a powdercoat. I'm wondering if anybody knows an equivalent powdercoat color to match the Schwinn Frosty Silver that came on the '82 SW? I'm also not 100% sure if I should keep the original 10 speed drivetrain, or do it as more of a restomod either as a single speed, or possibly with a Shimano Nexus 8 IGH. Thoughts?

I just acquired a 1983 Sidewinder (complete) but I'm restoring it at an '82 simply because the '83 handlebars are ugly as sin, and the decals are not available anywhere for an '83. I happen to have a set of blue SW decals, chrome fork, and handlebar, so I'm mostly good to go. The frame is in desperate need of paint or a powdercoat. I'm wondering if anybody knows an equivalent powdercoat color to match the Schwinn Frosty Silver that came on the '82 SW? I'm also not 100% sure if I should keep the original 10 speed drivetrain, or do it as more of a restomod either as a single speed, or possibly with a Shimano Nexus 8 IGH. Thoughts?
If you're not keeping it original anyway, then I would use whatever drive train I wanted. Keep the 10 speed components if you want to go back to that later. I like the internal gear hubs when they're set up right.

I'm also not 100% sure if I should keep the original 10 speed drivetrain, or do it as more of a restomod either as a single speed, or possibly with a Shimano Nexus 8 IGH. Thoughts?
Nice! Up to you but as for me I'd keep the og drive train. I like those suntour thumb shifters and the og vibe. Nexus 8 paired with single up front (1 x 8) ok too but less gear range maybe.

Nice! Up to you but as for me I'd keep the og drive train. I like those suntour thumb shifters and the og vibe. Nexus 8 paired with single up front (1 x 8) ok too but less gear range maybe.
it needs a new set of wheels no matter what. If I can snag a set of blue Ukais dished for a 5 speed rear I’ll grab ‘em, but in reality it might wind up with a set of new SE 26” wheels as a single speed for the time being.

Back