When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

-
In a moment of weakness, I fell for this 1965 Murray Astro Flite, because I thought it was unusual to be chrome with black trim, instead of the typical, chrome with red trim.

View attachment 1772320

View attachment 1772319

View attachment 1772322

View attachment 1772321

View attachment 1772323
In my brief search, I couldn’t find any literature that listed this color combination.
Everything I saw, showed the boys model with red trim, and the girls model with blue trim.
Any thoughts on this one having black trim?
A particular retailer?
Just wondering?
Thanks!
I've seen a couple others for sale in chrome and black trim, but I don't know why they aren't as common and the Spaceliners with red trim. Yours looks to be original paint, so I don't think it's a repaint. I'm pretty sure that there were solid black painted Spaceliners too. Maybe if this isn't original, maybe someone swapped the parts off an all-black bike to make this one different. Either way, cool find!

Thanks!
Those were all my thoughts as well.
The painted finish definitely appears to be original, so I also thought that the painted parts could’ve been swapped in, but the socks on the fork blades are black as well, which made me think that all was as originally equipped.
The seller said that the bike had come from a guy about 30 years ago, who had bought it from the original owner at a garage sale.
Nothing too mysterious I guess, but it just caught my eye, since it wasn’t the typical Spaceliner.

My 1961 Flightliner has a two speed kickback but it’s a different model. It’s a Tractwin. Do not know the manufacturer. I’d never heard of it until I got this bike.

EC25A0EA-263F-4C02-B0B9-F58249957CB0.jpeg

In a moment of weakness, I fell for this 1965 Murray Astro Flite, because I thought it was unusual to be chrome with black trim, instead of the typical, chrome with red trim.

View attachment 1772320

View attachment 1772319

View attachment 1772322

View attachment 1772321

View attachment 1772323
In my brief search, I couldn’t find any literature that listed this color combination.
Everything I saw, showed the boys model with red trim, and the girls model with blue trim.
Any thoughts on this one having black trim?
A particular retailer?
Just wondering?
Thanks!
Hello...

The black trim on this Murray Astro-Flite has absolutely nothing at all to do with any particular retailer. It is only related to the model and the year. These bicycles were made for several years... and they were the last gasp of the Classic Bicycle era.

You are not going to find literature for every model, every year of every Murray bicycle. National Bicycle History Archive of America does indeed have all Murray brand and Murray-Ohio original literature going back to the beginning of the company.

The Astro-Flite shown in these photos has the electric tail light improperly mounted, sitting on top of the rear carrier instead of with the battery case section embedded into the carrier.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
NBHAA.com

I’ll check out that tail light and see if I can get it installed properly.
I took a little creative license, and went with black wall tires, and installed a 1970 Murray Mark 3 handlebar.

5DA3D7ED-1ED4-418A-826D-E497D20A80AC.jpeg

70AEC796-33AD-4A1E-8B03-9C14813FB7CD.jpeg

1D80038E-A348-4693-81FE-85B60C54A7FC.jpeg

0A9761B2-04ED-44D5-9125-257DFB36D3BE.jpeg
Hopefully, Mr. Shreckengost doesn’t mind the alterations.

While cycling around my hometown.
My eye fell on a completely chromed bicycle, which stood along the side of the road between a lot of other bicycles.

'66 Spaceliner Deluxe ap.jpg

After taking a closer look at the bike, I knew it had to be a vintage American bike.
At home I started searching the web, and found out through this thread which model it is.
I'm pretty sure it's a '66 Spaceliner Deluxe.

'66 Spaceliner Deluxe bp.jpg
The chrome rearrack without the rear light is still on the bike, as well as the chainguard with the slots in it and the springer fork.

'66 Spaceliner Deluxe cp.jpg

The chrome is in pretty bad condition due to the Dutch weather.
The 7 style tank is gone and some other parts heve been changed
I'll try to take better pictures soon, and i gonna try to buy the bike.

While cycling around my hometown.
My eye fell on a completely chromed bicycle, which stood along the side of the road between a lot of other bicycles.

View attachment 1870046
After taking a closer look at the bike, I knew it had to be a vintage American bike.
At home I started searching the web, and found out through this thread which model it is.
I'm pretty sure it's a '66 Spaceliner Deluxe.

View attachment 1870047The chrome rearrack without the rear light is still on the bike, as well as the chainguard with the slots in it and the springer fork.

View attachment 1870048
The chrome is in pretty bad condition due to the Dutch weather.
The 7 style tank is gone and some other parts heve been changed
I'll try to take better pictures soon, and i gonna try to buy the bike.
Good luck with your purchase attempt. These are some really cool bikes as I've owned couple and still have 2 in my collection. RideOn. Mark.

Back