When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear Over Rust

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SamG

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently saw a 1932 that the owner simply clear coated to preserve the rusted “patina”. I liked the effect and didn’t realize that was a thing until now. Any opinions? What preparation is necessary (if any)? What results will different finish produce (I.e. matte vs. satin vs. gloss)?

paint does not preserve patina, since patina is a natural state. paint changes patina into something else.

keeping rusty things inside and out of the elements preserves patina

rust emits gasses, this is what makes paint bubble when there is rust underneath, the gasses can't escape.

spray bombs on a bike frame may not do this.

some folks put some sort of mineral oil or something on rusty bikes. it does look pretty good in their bikes, just not on mine.

I treated the rust on my bike in my avatar with greasy hands from rebuilding into different bikes a couple times. it is darker than it used to be.

I recently saw a 1932 that the owner simply clear coated to preserve the rusted “patina”. I liked the effect and didn’t realize that was a thing until now. Any opinions? What preparation is necessary (if any)? What results will different finish produce (I.e. matte vs. satin vs. gloss)?
Clear coating would be somewhat permanent. Boiled linseed oil as the way to go in my opinion.

There is a product that you can use prior to clear coating. It is called SR-17. A company in Virginia Beach, VA formulated it for neutralizing rust. It makes it inert. Sprayed on properly and you never have to coat the metal with anything. We used it in a 1963 Econoline pickup after we sand down the roughness of the rust. Another project we are working on is a 1979 F350 pickup. We are keeping the patina. We will lightly sand it to remove the rough surface rust and then clear coat it preserving its look.

I spray mine down with wd-40 and then wide it down

thumbnail_20200422_185408-01.jpg

Clear coating would be somewhat permanent. Boiled linseed oil as the way to go in my opinion.
I like this idea and will give it a try. Less permanent and also a more natural and non-toxic option (and inexpensive). I bet it produces a nice wet look. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back