When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chilly proposition

-
what is that? show the whole thing.

what is your end goal? is that a handlebar that will be chrome or nickel plated?

I don't see how freezing will bend that back to roundness. my guess is the water will take on the shape it is in now, and expand in that shape as well as it freezes.

if anything can fix that I'd say it would be heat. maybe replace that part of the tube

what is that? show the whole thing.

what is your end goal? is that a handlebar that will be chrome or nickel plated?

I don't see how freezing will bend that back to roundness. my guess is the water will take on the shape it is in now, and expand in that shape as well as it freezes.

if anything can fix that I'd say it would be heat. maybe replace that part of the tube
They are handlebars, it may take repeated controlled freezes to make it round again. Dont plan on replating, I like the patina for its age. It has lived almost 130 years and I like to preserve the crust. LOL

1895 Fowler adjustable bars. I dont plan on re-plating, I prefer the rust and patina.

20230127_005235.jpg

20230127_005250.jpg

20230127_005410.jpg

20230127_005235.jpg

20230127_005250.jpg

20230127_005410.jpg

If you could sleeve the good sections with extra support and it doesn’t touch the parts that are dented so there would be a void between the dents on the bars and the sleeve, that might work when freezing.

At one point, I considered cutting the bars at the midpoint as you wouldn’t see the repair due to the stem and working the damage from the inside. For your controlled freeze I’d hammer up some old bars in as similar position as possible to what you’ve got. I believe the approach is far more feasible on a straight length of tubing than on something with some bends to it.

My buddy did it on his gasser, his Moon tank had 1 big dent and a few small ones. He filled it with water and let it freeze, it worked pretty good granted aluminum is a way softer material. I doubt it would work on those bars.

Back