When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear Over Rust

-
Clearcoat is not the way to go.
I have used the BLO but dries out and you have to reapply frequently.
The best product that I have found and use for this application of preserving rust is Gibbs Brand Lubricant, penetrant, water repellent, multitude of applications.
Will not dry out, reapply after washing or cleaning.

View attachment 1774897
I’ll second the Gibbs, great stuff. Been using it for years. Unlike WD40, it’s dry to the touch shortly after application, and seems to repel dirt and dust for quite some time as opposed to attracting it like typical silicone oils. It suffocates the rust, too, as well as bringing out the different colors of the corrosion and metal. A little pricey, but a can lasts a long time if used properly. I don’t even wash my rusty old bikes, but instead wipe them down with Gibbs once or twice a year. Highly recommended.

I’ll second the Gibbs, great stuff. Been using it for years. Unlike WD40, it’s dry to the touch shortly after application, and seems to repel dirt and dust for quite some time as opposed to attracting it like typical silicone oils. It suffocates the rust, too, as well as bringing out the different colors of the corrosion and metal. A little pricey, but a can lasts a long time if used properly. I don’t even wash my rusty old bikes, but instead wipe them down with Gibbs once or twice a year. Highly recommended.
Sounds like it’s worth a try!!!

I used Penetrol & satin Varathane on my 1948 Schwinn and I am pleased with the result.

IMG_20171019_193321.jpg

IMG_20190927_122612981.jpg

Thanks! Major takeaway from my LaSalle endeavor is how it brought stripes and logos out of the crust. Please let us know how you do.

I am new to the super old bike preservation mentality and I’m enjoying learning all of your tactics here. Most of the bikes I touch are at the local co-op and don’t particularly have any vintage value. Virtually all of their value lies in their ability to provide transportation. I only recently came to the Cabe as we wanted to start exploring finding outlets for vintage bikes that are beyond our reasonable repair/resell scope to keep them out of the scrapheap.

For bikes with no vintage value but high transportation value, i.e. the nonprofit co-op bike, I’ve really enjoyed using Loctite rust neutralizer spray. I recently put two coats on a track 720 multi track that looked like it was kept outside for sometime. They spray neutralizes rust and chemically primes steel for painting and includes a clear latex layer. The spray is not meant to serve as a clear top coat, as they recommend an oil based clearcoat or paint presumably, but I have not bothered to cover it up, and I’ve had no issues. This is a highly functional and half assed approach meant to slow the decline of a rusting frame. Very very easy and effective for the right context, probably not your valuable pre-war though. Just wanted to share.

I see clear in a matte finish.I really brings out the color.Its just a matter of choice.I did it to one bike and I liked the results.

Back