When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Vs OG Resto's look better

-
Restored bikes are under rated and most times look much better than OG bikes.
If they are done correctly. Using late model, aftermarket seats; wrong colors/pattern paint or BC/CC; wrong wheels, etc.. isn't restored. If you are going to restore do the research, spend the money on the correct parts, and paint it right. Otherwise it's a custom or refurbished, but not restored.

Restored, or Original? It depends on the condition that you obtain the bike in. It also depends on the make/model/year. You will never end up with the same original looks fully restored, but if you need to restore, I agree, "do it right".

I learned long ago with my '32 High Boy Hot Rod was fun right up until I did a full-on body off rotisserie paint job. It was no longer fun to drive, and I sold it. You could no longer take it to Home Depot when you spent all of your time worrying about dents scratches in the parking lot.

Give me "a driver, or a rider" anyday. That's why my Cycle Truck stays in grey primer, and I take it and ride it everywhere.

John

Not very many peeps are doing good restores
anymore. Seems to me that it’s gotten to expensive to do it correctly.I can’t remember when one was posted. Bob has posted some that he did back in the day, but that’s about it
My other hobby is restoring 1940 to 1950's Vintage Camper Trailer's. What your talking about is exactly what is happening to that hobby today also. $100/sheet for plywood. $400/gallon for quality automotive paint. $600 for quality dense seat/bed foam. $2000/for new aluminum body skin. $1000 each for 100 amp hour Lithium batteries. Without any sub'd outside labor counted, you can easily speed $20K just in material costs to rebuild a small sized vintage camper trailer at todays costs.

John

restored bikes have no soul. they have no visible history. they have no story.

"I found these parts on ebay and the Cabe, then paid builder Bob to put it all together. it cost me a fortune" ... yawn

"the original owner stored this bike in his attic for 70 years, I bought it from his grandson"" ... cool

same with old cars. my buddy owns the chopped and channeled Hemi powered 32 Ford coupe his dad built in 1953. still has the sticker in the window from the 1954 (?) drags in Oklahoma in the window, and the tuck and toll from the 50's as well.

HEMI 32 X (33).jpg

Back