When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Vs OG Resto's look better

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Not one person has mentioned that the durability of the new paint is nothing like the old stuff. Let see what some of these repaints look like after just 10 years of regular use let alone 60 years. I do not worry about my bikes nudging each other or the occasional drop. These things do not take away from the ride. I ride my bikes, all of them no wall hangers or overpriced line ups of repaints sitting around unused. I replace the parts that count ,bearings and cups if needed whatever it takes to get it back to smooth riding. I find it really odd looking when I see a 70 year old guy with a full head of dark clearly not natural hair. The same goes for bicycles a 70 year old bike with flawless paint and no nicks and bruises , they look odd and unnecessary. To each his own, I prefer riding more than admiring but I do think my survivor bikes look way cooler than some cheesy "Look at my cool new paint job" bike. I have nicks , scratches and rust why should my bikes be any different.

Last edited:
You seem to imply that restored bikes don't get ridden. I appreciate both original and restored. There are some bikes I could never own if I had to wait for an original to pop up. I ride pretty much all my bikes and most have suffered an extra bruise for it but I don't worry about the little stuff because it would suck the fun out of it. When it happens to an original bike it just adds to the story. When it happens to a restored bike you can just repaint/plate it. Each of us enjoy the hobby in our own way and there is no wrong or right way to collect--unless you only collect Schwinns (just kidding)! Back to the original point of this post I find beauty in original bikes and, if done correctly, restored bikes. When I see somone post a 'restored' bike with one of those cheap, Chinese hairpin saddles I feel puke'm in the back of my throat!

DSC_0090 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0312 (1).JPG

Last edited:
A bike does not have to be 100% correct to be restored no more than a car does that's whatever your personal desires are, and everyone has a different idea, level or definition of it. Back in the 70's, 80's and 90's everybody wanted restored bikes and the trend shifted to everyone wanting original along with the rat rod cars becoming popular. The paint today is 100 times more durable than enamel ever was. A very nice original should stay as is or if you like the rat look keep it that way. Everyone is so worried about the parts being same as when it was built, 100% correct, but the appearance does not look the same as when it was built. But a bike that looks as it did new or close no matter what, is always much more of an attention getter, and actually would look much closer to when it was built to the average person. The point of this forum is that it's like it's a mission for people to rip any restored bike to shreds unless it's by one of the elite people, no offense to them as most of them are very humble and nice. I see so many people post a bike they restored-fixed up and it's like pearl harbor day, when they themselves have never even attempted painting or anything like that. Many people just bolt on parts or buy done bikes, no matter what a person posts I try to be respectful to their effort. Otherwise, we just chase away people from this hobby and it will die off. The discussion on this is always interesting for sure. Like Freqman1 said some bikes you would never be able to own or wouldn't be ridable if not restored and bikes are meant to be ridden, enjoyed and shown off.

Last edited:
If they are done correctly. Using late model, aftermarket seats; wrong colors/pattern paint or BC/CC; wrong wheels, etc.. isn't restored. If you are going to restore do the research, spend the money on the correct parts, and paint it right. Otherwise it's a custom or refurbished, but not restored.
With all due respect, using your standards that one needs to do the research and use the correct paint/paint it right, are your bicycle restorations done in nitrocellulose lacquer or alkyd enamel? Those were the paint types utilized from the 1930's - 1950's. How about your '57 Sportster? Alkyd enamel is what the original finish would have been. So, using your criteria for correctly restored........custom, refurbished or restored?

With all due respect, using your standards that one needs to do the research and use the correct paint/paint it right, are your bicycle restorations done in nitrocellulose lacquer or alkyd enamel? Those were the paint types utilized from the 1930's - 1950's. How about your '57 Sportster? Alkyd enamel is what the original finish would have been. So, using your criteria for correctly restored........custom, refurbished or restored?

Last edited:
I have no idea what you're referring to. My post is in reference to Freqman 1's 'restored' '57 Sportster. Your post above slid in while I was typing mine.

Thanks Dan for your observations. Comments like that either show your disdain for car/motorcycle restorations in today’s world or your ignorance but either way probably best I utilize the ‘ol “Ignore” button!

Back