When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oct 68 town and country

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Did they make the "purpose built" trike rear ends in size 20" and 26" i have seen only 24" rear ends with differential. I have never came accross any 20" or 26" trike rear ends with differential. I know the only part that changes between the 20, 24, and 26 trike rear ends are the tubular basket frame.
I believe 20" and 24" kit frames were the same, and 26" was different. 24" over time became the standard tri bike wheel size. It offered easy pedaling and a good compromise in stability.

Over time, the purpose built tribikes took over the conversion kit style mainly because the purpose built used a larger single tube frame which allowed a lower stepover height. These were mostly sold to people with some mobility issues and step over was an important consideration.

Bicycle wheels are very strong in the vertical plane but are very weak in the horizonal plane. Tri bikes ride completely different than a bicycle, "obviously". They ride straight up. This causes the rear wheels to be vulnerable to side load damage. Couple this load with crazy kids that liked to ride the tribikes "on two wheels" it caused rear wheels to bend. You could always tell when the grandkids had been visiting Grandma.

John

Last edited:
I believe 20" and 24" kit frames were the same, and 26" was different. 24" over time became the standard tri bike wheel size. It offered easy pedaling and a good compromise in stability.

Over time, the purpose built tribikes took over the conversion kit style mainly because the purpose built used a larger single tube frame which allowed a lower stepover height. These were mostly sold to people with some mobility issues and step over was an important consideration.

Bicycle wheels are very strong in the vertical plane but are very weak in the horizonal plane. Tri bikes ride completely different than a bicycle, "obviously". They ride straight up. This causes the rear wheels to be vulnerable to side load damage. Couple this load with crazy kids that liked to ride the tribikes "on two wheels" it caused rear wheels to bend. You could always tell when the grandkids had been visiting Grandma.

John

:) funny you should say that. I have a 1975 Blue Town and Country and I love getting it up on two wheels. The newer dual drive T&C 1974-1982 are much better than the earlier 1968-1973. The older style felt as if the bike would pull to the right while riding where as the newer style wouldnt pull to sides at all. My only two complaints was #1 the skinny road tires. These bikes would of ridden so much better with s7 or s2 albeit much slower. #2 sucked they used a girls frame and you couldnt add a 24" springer front end

Well, I have the new tubes, waiting on the tires, and chain guard decal to get here. The guy actually sent me a schwinn twin decal by mistake. But I got a hold of him and he is fixing it. Should have decal and tires next week.

View attachment 1735558

View attachment 1735559
My Town and Country came with 24" Slicks in the rear (same as on the Manta-rays), I don't know how long this was done, but the tires were worth alot more than the bike cost, the Slicks still had the casting nubs. I imagine that Schwinn was trying to use up the tires since the Manta-Rays were not a good seller.

you couldnt add a 24" springer front end
Aren't the head tube on the 24 the same size as the 26? I thought they were and if that is the case you could technically use a 26 springer with a 24 inch tire. It may sit up a bit more but nothing dramatic. I could be wrong but I have seen trikes with springers, perhaps they were 26's built up with a kit. Good luck

Aren't the head tube on the 24 the same size as the 26? I thought they were and if that is the case you could technically use a 26 springer with a 24 inch tire. It may sit up a bit more but nothing dramatic. I could be wrong but I have seen trikes with springers, perhaps they were 26's built up with a kit. Good luck
On the girls frame, I think you may be correct, not on the 24" boys frame.

John

Is the boys 24 inch head tube same as the Stingray?
Yes. You could use a Krate spring fork on 24" boys. Actually, it's the other way around. LOL The Krates used a 24" boy's fork. Short stem, longer fork legs. The 16" front wheel made up the difference.

The Krates were not really "custom built", but more of a parts bin bike, made up with existing parts.

John

The slip-on hubs with a roll type drive pin were made by Ret Bar. The made them in 28 or 36 hole. Schwinn's T&C were 24" wheels so they were 28 hole.

John

Been wanting to build something out of one of these for a while and had convinced myself I wanted one with a diff. I guess I hadn't researched them enough to know they were 28 hole hubs.
Looked through a few threads and was wondering if anyone came up with an alternative wheel/rim? I do have a set of painted 24 S-2s wheels but I don't think they'd fit. I'd have to offset them for sure as the stock rims are close to the frame.

So they made a 36 hole hub too? What do you think the chances are of finding a pair of those?

Been wanting to build something out of one of these for a while and had convinced myself I wanted one with a diff. I guess I hadn't researched them enough to know they were 28 hole hubs.
Looked through a few threads and was wondering if anyone came up with an alternative wheel/rim? I do have a set of painted 24 S-2s wheels but I don't think they'd fit. I'd have to offset them for sure as the stock rims are close to the frame.

So they made a 36 hole hub too? What do you think the chances are of finding a pair of those?
Slim to none on any 36 hole originals for a Retbar rear hub would be my guess.

But the other company in Arizona manufacturing adult tri bikes was Gobby Manufacturing in Glendale, AZ just behind the Crystal Ice House on 59th Ave. The owner Alan used new Bendix 70/76 coaster brake hub shells without any internal parts and they were available in 24/28/36 hole drilling. He turned a steel sleeve with a tapered shoulder that fit inside the empty hub shell and indexed to the taper inside the shell that the original clutch drove against. He bored the sleeve to the 5/8" axle diameter and drilled and pinned it with a roll pin to one side of the axle (one wheel drive). Alan Gobby sold most of his Tri Bikes under the Sears brand. I believe he originated the single bar step through frame copied by others.

All of the tribikes used very basic utility axle bearings which would need to be upgraded if you built a motorized version.

John

Back