When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Vs OG Resto's look better

-
Got patina no lowballers i know what i got. All original.

View attachment 1778447
you just don't know how to paint. lol
It has become obvious throughout this thread that you have a disdain for any bike that does not have a nice shiny paint job. As you stated you have over 35 years in the auto paint business, so it makes sense to me I get it. The problem is you are unable to "get it" the other way around. You don't seem to have the ability to understand that others have different tastes and collect things for other reasons than you. You have kinda poked the bear on this one with some of your comments towards heavily worn bikes. You also clearly have not noticed that when a bike is re "anything" if it is not back to correct original parts it does not have the value of one that does. Adding personal touches to a vintage bike does nothing for the value, in fact it detracts from it's value. If you drop the "It's the way I want it" line then do everyone a favor and remember "it's the way we want them" Yes I keep track of the value of each of my bikes even if I do not plan on selling them it is part of the process. It seems to me like you started this thread just to bang on bikes you do not like, it was never a debate with you. I love your bikes and you do beautiful work, good luck with your projects.

restored bikes are for sissies who keep their restored bikes in the house on white carpet. white carpet is for sissies who have painted floors in the garage and don't wear work boots. mostly just stirring it up a bit but there is some truth here. :)
I have, and ride my restored bikes, no white carpet, and I have worn work (combat) boots!

My bike room-brown carpet!
br8.JPG

br9.JPG

Riding my restored '37 Super Streamline Nashville 2017.
DSC_0312 (1).JPG

Doing some interference resolution on a roof top New Kabul City Compound downtown Kabul 2021
IMG_3765 - Copy (2).JPG

Last edited:
It has become obvious throughout this thread that you have a disdain for any bike that does not have a nice shiny paint job. As you stated you have over 35 years in the auto paint business, so it makes sense to me I get it. The problem is you are unable to "get it" the other way around. You don't seem to have the ability to understand that others have different tastes and collect things for other reasons than you. You have kinda poked the bear on this one with some of your comments towards heavily worn bikes. You also clearly have not noticed that when a bike is re "anything" if it is not back to correct original parts it does not have the value of one that does. Adding personal touches to a vintage bike does nothing for the value, in fact it detracts from it's value. If you drop the "It's the way I want it" line then do everyone a favor and remember "it's the way we want them" Yes I keep track of the value of each of my bikes even if I do not plan on selling them it is part of the process. It seems to me like you started this thread just to bang on bikes you do not like, it was never a debate with you. I love your bikes and you do beautiful work, good luck with your projects.
As i stated i don't have a dislike toward originals, I have many of them and love them. But those who love the originals many times are very harsh to anyone who restores or repaints a bike. So it's you who doesn't get the point, it's your bike keep it your way, do what you want with it, is exactly the point I'm making. You just don't like when someone else doesn't agree with you. Maybe next time someone posts a bike that's restored, repainted to the best of their abilities. Just say good job.

As i stated i don't have a dislike toward originals, I have many of them and love them. But those who love the originals many times are very harsh to anyone who restores or repaints a bike. So it's you who doesn't get the point, it's your bike keep it your way, do what you want with it, is exactly the point I'm making. You just don't like when someone else doesn't agree with you. Maybe next time someone posts a bike that's restored, repainted to the best of their abilities. Just say good job.
I'm a social liberal, and a fiscal conservative.( can I say that on here?)
I think you or anyone can have their bikes however they want them.
I try to save $$$ by buying and fixing old rides and leaving them as OG as possible,
as economicallly as I can. And ride them as often as the weather allows.
My 2 cents worth.
Ian

I'm a social liberal, and a fiscal conservative.( can I say that on here?)
I think you or anyone can have their bikes however they want them.
I try to save $$$ by buying and fixing old rides and leaving them as OG as possible,
as economicallly as I can. And ride them as often as the weather allows.
My 2 cents worth.
Ian

20220523_193521.jpg

20220630_185819.jpg

meh.
Original (except tires, although I still have those), from the original owner. It has the originality of the first owners touch to it, may she r.i.p.
View attachment 1778416

I can appreciate a resto mod, as well as a true restoration, but original tells the story in real time.
I think i remember you posting the story when you got it from lady who was in her 90's and had it as a kid.

I don't see original condition and restoration, or customization as competing with one another. They are different solutions for different cases.

One would not re-plate and re-paint a bike that is all there, original, and presentable. And there would be no issue doing new paint and chrome on a bike that was parted-together, or which is all there but the paint and plating are beyond saving. There is no issue with customizing an otherwise discarded bike that was in a junk pile, or incomplete and parted-together.

Each is a different method dealing with different circumstances, and each approach should be in the tool bag of whoever is doing the work.

The universal is to study your project, think about what you are dealing with, and have a plan for what you want to do before jumping in.

Some old rusty bikes tell us a story.
About the time long ago when the bike was stored in a barn, on the flood plain of a nearby crik.
Then one of those 7, 10 or 20-year floods happened, and the barn was underwater.

The unique story of the periodic flooding of the rusty barn bike gets a bit boring after 100 years or so.

Last edited:
Back