When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver King Monark Coupe DeVille - Year? Help please?

-
Deduction.0H******
Huffy serial numbers, aka, Huffman, First digit is the year 0, the bike is branded Monark, which means it was after Huffy started building Monarks in the late 1950's, thereby making 1960 the year of manufacture.

Similar to this 1947 Huffman serial number.

1675223094498.jpeg

Just to be clear, what Freqman1 means to say is that this bike does not meet his tastes. There is value in this bike just not enough to raise his eyebrow, but he will continue to express his distaste in others peasantry. 🧐
I think he continues to comment on posts like this, involving the words rare or scarce, to knock down any gold digger claims that may falsely inflate price. To that I suggest providing a proper assessment instead of just scoffing at everything, or don't comment at all. I'm not the only one tired of seeing it.

I'd value the bike at $250-300 if I were going to sell it, mostly because it appears complete.
The downsides that keep this bike in that price range are: it's a 1960 bike and it's a middleweight frame. Everyone into this style of tank bike, wants balloon tires from the 50s. While that frame may take balloon tires, the last Huffy frame I had like that, the balloon tires rubbed the fenders too hard to even roll and this bike would not look right without fenders.
The upsides: the rear rack and chain guard are Monark made leftovers(and the only uniquely Monark parts on the bike besides the decals and badge). If parted out, those would fit it's Monark made balloon tire counterparts. The Huffy tank would be of interest to those with similar era Huffy frames, just minus the Monark decal(that I would let them remove).
It may take longer to sell this bike as a whole, but I'd rather keep it together as is, just because it's a company takeover/mashup oddity and in good condition that could be made quite sharp with a detail job.

Also note that Google is not the informative search engine that it used to be. If your search doesn't involve the hottest new product that companies are paying Google to advertise to you, chances are much much slimmer that you'll find the information that you are looking for.
This is why the knowledge base here on the CABE is so invaluable!

Deduction.0H******
Huffy serial numbers, aka, Huffman, First digit is the year 0, the bike is branded Monark, which means it was after Huffy started building Monarks in the late 1950's, thereby making 1960 the year of manufacture.

Similar to this 1947 Huffman serial number.

View attachment 1779092
Hub dates it to 1960 also (for F&S, C=1960) so it all matches up. Nice bike in great condition.

Monark introduced the Coupe DeVille before they were bought by Huffy (end of 1957 if memory serves) but as others have stated this is the Huffy-built version. First one I've ever seen and it's amazing that it's survived complete and in decent shape. It's probably not tremendously valuable, but you won't have to worry about everybody else having one. There probably weren't many built to start with, and the number still surviving is anyone's guess, but very few.
And when @Freqman1 says it isn't very valuable, he just means it isn't worth 4 or 5 figures, like most of his bikes are. Take it to a show and park it beside a line of Phantoms, and see which gets the most looks. The experts will be nit-picking every detail on the Phantoms, but on this one they'll just be scratching their heads.

Last edited:
Hi Glassguy, here’s a picture of my dusty one, i’m too lazy to dig it out of the pile but I’ve included a photo of the headlight if you are inclined to search for one. I found the bike in the 1980s at the Hershey fall antique car show, I would hope you can get more than $300 for it, but then I have some sentimental attachment to mine, and could be deluding

AABDF74C-FF6D-443C-AB03-272C0A556FD2.jpeg
myself. Welcome to the Cabe, and welcome to collecting bicycles, it’s better than gambling. Usually.
6B961D45-44A8-4F6B-941E-1764B54DF6EB.jpeg

Back