When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Finds

-

SamG

Finally riding a big boys bike
The red one is a Viscount (Bang Flyer I believe it says). The other is a Murray Meteor Flite. Know absolutely nothing about either one and these picture were taken literally off my truck!!!! I am googling something about Viscount and aerospace…..

It’s hidden by the basket but the Murray has a cool light on the front fender.

BED3D774-DB56-4BCE-8E0C-57666CEB2F1E.jpeg

DB316F37-9C20-4F78-95B0-160861AEE6C6.jpeg

The Murray could be anywhere between '58 and the later '60s. I'm not aware of a definitive decoding of '60 - '65 Murray serials. Evans started making that cantilever in late '57 as a new '58 model, after Schwinn's patent expired. They closed their doors for good in '62.

The Murray could be anywhere between '58 and the later '60s. I'm not aware of a definitive decoding of '60 - '65 Murray serials. Evans started making that cantilever in late '57 as a new '58 model, after Schwinn's patent expired. They closed their doors for good in '62.
I did find what appears to be 555843. I’ve been too busy trying to remove a pedal than to attempt a code deciphering!!! Lol

6F5C4439-DFB6-4D0A-90DC-4F65D3EA2CF4.jpeg

What exactly qualifies as a middle weight? Are you referring to the Viscount or Murray or both? Is it the smaller frame size?

Middleweight refers to the middleweight tires, 26” x 1.75”.

Narrower than Hawthorne's first balloon tires at 2.125” and wider than the imported 1+3/8” British 3-speed lightweights.

I believe that the carefulness may have more to do with the fancy 1960’s designs, with their skinny tubes, (or was it the workmanship of the era?).

Something to look for might be holes in the tank for an integral headlight, or holes in the front fender for a stand-alone headlight.
In early 1960’s (62, 63?) catalogs, Murray first showed headlights integrated into the tank.

And sometimes there are more stampings forward of the axle on the dropout.

Last edited:
Middleweight refers to the middleweight tires, 26” x 1.75”.

Narrower than the first balloon tires at 2.125” and wider than the imported 1+3/8” British 3-speed lightweights.

I believe that the carefulness may have more to do with the fancy 1960’s designs, with their skinny tubes?
Ahh Haa.... That Rollfast I got a couple of weeks ago I needed to put 1.75's on because the 2.125's rubbed!!! I'm about 190# and took it for a 7 mile ride and seemed to do OK.

Last edited:
Back