When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crusty Shelby Airman

-

MrAustralia

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi team,

Keen to find out a bit about this Airman. It seems pretty complete, but on closer inspection I have a few queries. However, I am no Shelby expert so I am keen to hear what you all think.

The seat and tank makes it look like a more deluxe model? But all painted?

Original paint? I think it looks to be a re-paint. Albeit a very old one. Is anyone familiar with this paint scheme?

Chrome tank and guards?? Underneath the black paint I can see chrome?? Or is it just the steel underneath. I was leaning towards chrome until I looked inside the tank and it’s got what looks to be original solid black paint within.

Fork and truss rods. The fork does not look Shelby to me?? But again, I am no expert. What about the truss rods? Original? Or are they from the (potentially) replaced fork?

It doesn’t really matter to me what is original or not? I am just keen to see what everyone thinks. I will clean it up and try and preserve the current paint (I like it) and ride it! Lets go!

Keen for input! Thanks CABE!

full shelby.jpg

airman badge.jpg

fork.jpg

id number.jpg

inside tank.jpg

light and fender.jpg

rear light.jpg

seat.jpg

shelby light.jpg

tank crome.jpg

Look pretty og to me, not sure about the fork tho, Airman being Spiegel store name you might want to check so of their catalogs and have seen a few similar bikes here.

Not sure if Spiegel’s catalogue was considered as higher-priced than the other two Chicago-based catalog sales outfits?

Congrats a very nice high spec model!

I think the biggest question mark is the fork. I don't think Shelby ever used a forged blade fork. The truss rods I believe are from a later bike as well. The fork probably could have been either of the two tubular styles Shelby used, flat top or rounded, with truss rod standoff plate between fender and fork and with angular truss rods.

Thinking the tail light needed is one of the harder ones mouse or egg.

Fantastic bike! Old repaint with a replaced fork is what I'm seeing. Missing the "mouse" light cover.

This thread has a few similar bikes.

Back