When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whizzer tire reccomendations

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There are several black wall and white wall tires on ebay with 65 psi ratings. That's what I use.

Skeezer

schwalbe and biketiresdirect also have some others that could be good for a whizzer.
Schwalbe makes a good tire. I just installed a set of their "Fat Franks" on one of my Whizzers. They are 26 x 2.35 with a Kevlar sidewall and will take 60 p.s.i. They have a nice wide tread pattern and fit nicely in a balloon tire fender. I'll post a picture if it quits raining.

Keep in mind that you have a couple of different factors in play.

I'm all for higher air pressure, lower rolling resistance, less chance of rim pinches, etc. BUT, the S-2 Rims were NOT designed to run 65 PSI. That's three times the original design tire air pressure. I have seen 2.125 Schwinn balloon Cruiser wheels come into the bike shop with over inflation and the sides of the rim were deformed and angled out. The tire had not yet blown, and it was still holding the extreme air pressure. I have no idea what kind of air pressure it took to deform the rim, I just let it out ASAP.

Even if the newer tire materials will hold higher air pressure, you're still using the OLD rims. If you want, or need to run 65 PSI, you're going to need to run a modern rim that is designed to hold the higher air pressure.

IMO, if you can stay at 50 psi or lower, and you have vintage rims without any rust damage inside, you should be safe.

John

CST has a few tires rated for 65 psi. I use all Worksman wheels for my "riders".

Skeezer

CST has a few tires rated for 65 psi. I use all Worksman wheels for my "riders".

Skeezer
Skeezer, You are making my point. Modern tire technology has exceeded the ability of the original Schwinn S-2 tubular rims to hold the new higher air pressures.

Think of the poor guy that scrapes around and finds a nice set of original S-2 rims, has them re-plated, re-spoked with 120 gauge spokes on some nice original drum brake hubs, mounts the new CST tires and air's them up to full pressure while he's watching the rims spread and deform out under the new high tire air pressure. That could be close to a thousand dollar "unnecessary" hit.

The point here is that tire air pressure and "vintage" rim maximum air pressure might not be the same number any longer. Be aware of "all your equipment" when airing your tires.

John

From talking to a few different suppliers they thought originals that say Chen Shin Tire were better quality but more expensive so the company introduced the cheaper CST version, I don't know that as fact tho!

Back