When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Question - Frozen Pedal

-

SamG

Finally riding a big boys bike
This questions has probably been asked a million times.... I recently bought a rusty old Murray Meteor Flite and have it now all disassembled except the crank. I cannot break free the the pedal. I am turning clockwise for the reverse thread. I've taken a wire brush to remove whatever rust I could... I'm using WD40, cheater bar, etc.... Before I break something I wanted ask the question as I am sure somebody has experience with this. I do not own a heat gun or torch of sorts but if heat is the answer I will pick one up. Are there ever any circumstances these aren't a reversed thread??? I didn't think so. Is clockwise the direction I need to turn? What is my best solution?

328879236_899074294465539_9190424886034747047_n.jpg

To loosen: Left side clockwise, right side counterclockwise.
WD40 is not a penetrating oil. You need something like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench. If you search around this forum you'll see that everyone has a favorite brew for this purpose. Have fun!

I have removed a right-hand pedal threaded into the left side and vice-versa; (those were pretty tough to remove).
Uncle Archie:
I ran into that one time too. Whoever assembled that bike must have been very determined. Determination is a good quality, but mechanical aptitude may be more important in some circumstances. I guess the lesson for SamG is that it would be worthwhile trying to spin the pedals the wrong way to determine if his bike was assembled by a determined person. Come to think about it, it is sometimes useful to turn a frozen part in the wrong direction to loosen things up.

Uncle Archie:
I ran into that one time too. Whoever assembled that bike must have been very determined. Determination is a good quality, but mechanical aptitude may be more important in some circumstances. I guess the lesson for SamG is that it would be worthwhile trying to spin the pedals the wrong way to determine if his bike was assembled by a determined person. Come to think about it, it is sometimes useful to turn a frozen part in the wrong direction to loosen things up.
I did actually give it a try the other direction (not hard) just to see. Nothing

Another tip: To keep the crank from turning while you're leaning on that cheater bar, tie one side of the crank to the chain stay with some light rope or a shoelace (if you don't mind walking around with just one).
Good tip!!! I was able to prop the frame up on my bench such to tighten the crank into my table vice

PB BLASTER. if there is something that works as good it is the same chemicals with a different name. soak, soak, soak until it comes out.
big sturdy vise made in America at least 50 years ago helps as well. a good dedicated pedal wrench helps.

some old guy from the OLD days once said “Give me a firm place to stand and a lever and I can move the Earth.” ... it is amazing what can be done with a long piece of pipe.

I use PB Blaster and put a wooden hammer handle thru the chain ring because sometimes you'll have to torque that wrench so hard it will walk out of the vise. Wear gloves because when it brakes loose it could be a knuckle buster. If your wrench dosen't fit perfect don't even try it, blood is messy. Good Luck.

Back