When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Schwinns at auction.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HEMI426

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I read an ad today of an upcoming auction that listed Antique Schwinn Bicycles. I looked it up and seen the bikes were a Schwinn Traveler III and a Collegiate. I wouldn't consider either of these antiques but I am curious what years these were in production. My idea of an antique bike is 20s, 30s, 40s, and vintage 50s, 60s, 70s, what is the age to be called an antique bicycle?

With a car in PA you can get classic plates at 20 years old. You raise good points for discussion. in about 1975 a farmer gave me a 57 Cadillac. That seemed very old to me then. But I couldn’t get classic plates, nor old enough. 18 years old was all it was. But thinking of a 2005 Cadillac at my age now, it hardly seems a classic. I guess I’m trying to say, your current age changes what’s an antique is. A collegiate and a traveler seem like last year, unless you’re 20.

That’s true. Unless a teenage movie came out and the hot girl road a traveler. Things that are of little value spike when a movie hero has one. I read a story about that one time, of course I can’t think of a cheap example,but the lead off was what Herbie had done for the beetle. A college movie might put us all on money row. Strange valueless things can spike.

There was a time a homely 4 door car was valueless. Just a parts car. Now the two doors are all thru the roof, we’ve been noticing more 4 doors that made it are being driven. I guess if it’s for a love of the old car feel, driving a four door is also fun. If you wanted to ride a bike and the neighbors had an old Collegi hanging in the garage it would still be fun to use. Just steer clear of Money Men. Ride at night

Age old question.

There was a time a homely 4 door car was valueless. Just a parts car. Now the two doors are all thru the roof, we’ve been noticing more 4 doors that made it are being driven. I guess if it’s for a love of the old car feel, driving a four door is also fun. If you wanted to ride a bike and the neighbors had an old Collegi hanging in the garage it would still be fun to use. Just steer clear of Money Men. Ride at night
I guess you could make the comparison between a four-door vintage car, and a girl's framed "parts bike".

All kidding aside, I see nothing wrong with taking two piles of parts and assembling something that looks cool and can also be ridden.

John

We may be wandering a touch here, but I think j wagon also makes some points. I’m 70. As a kid an antique was 100. Not sure how we where gonna prove it. But now every ad says BARN FIND. Or ONE OWNER. Generally those two phrases are describing rusted junk that’s been laying around. Classic means you can’t buy a new one? Or the other favorite. Rare. Which means they didn’t sell many. Nobody wanted it then, nobody wants it now. We all know what a true classic is. The item everyone desires. Weather it was expensive then or not. A Camaro is a classic and was a cheap car. A sting ray bike was cheap relatively. A Phantom was expensive. So cost and age count, but the desire we have is what makes it a classic.

Back