When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Schwinn Varsity Tourist

-
I love these tourist models. I picked up this 63 Coppertone Continental a few years back, frame stamped November 22 1963. The day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. The bike still resides here in St. Louis in my Buddy’s museum.

940C7D45-4FB3-4318-834A-4555F3DC0A20.jpeg

6ED7CA13-2638-486A-A5DF-97B9873143BC.jpeg

As many of you know, I’ve been trying to find my wife a vintage bike so that she might accompany me on my rides. After several failures, I think I’ve finally found the one— a 1963 Varsity Tourist.

View attachment 1781353

View attachment 1781354

View attachment 1781355

View attachment 1781356

View attachment 1781357

View attachment 1781358

Bought it from a fellow who bought it from the original owners; he claimed it had been in storage for the past 30 years or so. No reason to doubt, as it’s very clean. But boy, I’m going to need some expert advice on adjusting these Huret derailleurs, as I can’t keep the chain on the ring. And tomorrow is it’s sixtieth birthday, imagine that. I just hope my wife approves. Stay tuned.

As many of you know, I’ve been trying to find my wife a vintage bike so that she might accompany me on my rides. After several failures, I think I’ve finally found the one— a 1963 Varsity Tourist.

View attachment 1781353

View attachment 1781354

View attachment 1781355

View attachment 1781356

View attachment 1781357

View attachment 1781358

Bought it from a fellow who bought it from the original owners; he claimed it had been in storage for the past 30 years or so. No reason to doubt, as it’s very clean. But boy, I’m going to need some expert advice on adjusting these Huret derailleurs, as I can’t keep the chain on the ring. And tomorrow is it’s sixtieth birthday, imagine that. I just hope my wife approves. Stay tuned.
Congratulations on such a nice find and intact!

On your gear issues I suggest you start here. The front derailleur cage is mounted much too high. The lower part of the outside cage should clear the big chainwheel by about 1/8" - when looking downwards, that outer cage should be parallel to the big chainwheel as well.

After that you can make sure the two adjusting screws are set properly so the chain does not fall off to the inside or outside of the chainwheels.

Hope this helps and all the best on your project!

Finally got the derailleurs dialed in, with a little help of an acquaintence who just happens to be work for a bike shop. Shifts pretty cleanly, though after riding it a bit, the shifters’ position on the downtube is less than ideal, not sure if my wife is going to be real keen about that. Chrome cleaned up nicely, and boy does that paint positively glow when the light hits it just right.

063A655C-3356-4012-8F0A-E7FE88CEB6CA.jpeg

EE670A05-AD3C-4A4A-8694-5EAB90C25450.jpeg

C3CAC122-E1E6-4DB8-BBB9-9C5D6D6745B5.jpeg

That sure cleaned up very nice! I wonder if the cable guides for the shifter cable will work if you move the shifters to the top tube next to the head. There are clamp on shifter mounts that can be used for relocating the shifters if that's an issue with the wife.

That sure cleaned up very nice! I wonder if the cable guides for the shifter cable will work if you move the shifters to the top tube next to the head. There are clamp on shifter mounts that can be used for relocating the shifters if that's an issue with the wife.
Thanks! We’ll see what she thinks. Was wondering if the bracket and shifters from something like a Suburban could be retrofitted?

Yes, downtube shifters on a tourist style bike are not ideal.
As a 13 year old I got a new '65 Varsity tourist. I didn't think anything about the shifters back then.
I have another one now(nostalgia drove me to it), but at 70 years old, that's a long reach down to those shifters!

Hi,
Here are some pictures of a '66 women's Varsity I used to own. It came to me with a stem mount shifter conversion, probably done at the dealership when the bike was purchased. I'm sure the parts are out there. That is a beautiful bike, by the way!

View attachment 1786454

View attachment 1786455

View attachment 1786456

View attachment 1786457

View attachment 1786458

View attachment 1786459
Good to know. And thank you! Love that one with the white accents, that's a good look!

Back