When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Question - Frozen Pedal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I seen the old froze lugs on car yesterday. A year ago I came across a similar event. Right across the street. Car up on jack , spray lube present tool box open everything there long cheater bar 4 feet long still to lug wrench , but now a three way as the cheap lug wrench snapped leanly off. No one around. But for me.

I can see the table with vise / bike flipping over and pedal still stuck..I would have to put bike on ground with foot on frame hopefully chain wheel would sink into dirt. That open-end would have to be top quality and tight fit. I would reach over top of bike and smack end of wrench with hammer but you have to hold onto wrench at point it encircles flat on end of pedal once you are sure of your grip the wrench is gonna break or strip pedal at which point you will still be safe.
That position in the photo is one of many I've tried.... I've also tried a hammer on the wrench with a good grip. That cheater isn't the tightest fit but seems to be providing good leverage. Perhaps not the most robust though. I will try anything at this point!!! Thanks!!!

PB BLASTER. if there is something that works as good it is the same chemicals with a different name. soak, soak, soak until it comes out.
big sturdy vise made in America at least 50 years ago helps as well. a good dedicated pedal wrench helps.

some old guy from the OLD days once said “Give me a firm place to stand and a lever and I can move the Earth.” ... it is amazing what can be done with a long piece of pipe.
I have a friend who is a chemical engineer. He gave me a formula that is equal to or better than PB or Kroil and essentially the same thing. Mix ATF trans fluid 50/50 with denatured alcohol. (it's the sme color as Kroil) 😉You can put it in a spray bottle or brush it on. The results will amaze you and you will save some $. I usually buy cans of ATF at garage sales for a dollar or less. Denatured alcohol is available at any hardware store.

I used the ATF/alcohol method on this crankset.
IMG_20230104_142035590.jpg

sometimes you have to soak it a few times a day for 2 - 3 days. you need to position the bike so the pedal is pointing down so when you spray the PB it has a better chance of soaking down the threads.
Yes I had the crank horizontal when soaking (in both directions) for that reason then turned it upright (also in both directions) to crank on it. I’ll let soak overnight but it is sounding like a $10 torch might do the trick. Assuming propane is the fuel of choice?!?!

Yes I had the crank horizontal when soaking (in both directions) for that reason then turned it upright (also in both directions) to crank on it. I’ll let soak overnight but it is sounding like a $10 torch might do the trick. Assuming propane is the fuel of choice?!?!
Preferred an acetylene torch, but a propane torch might do the job.

The shop who sold me this has two more dirt cheap I’m planning on picking up minimally for parts if not to build. So I will have other cranks available (provided they are not also frozen) if I need to cut this one or destroy it otherwise

Back