When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's The Biggest Rust Bucket You've Bought And Brought Home?

-
I want to say this one came out of a shed in Rhode Island. This was the bike that sold me on the virtues of oxalic acid (OA)!

View attachment 1693485

View attachment 1693486

View attachment 1693487

View attachment 1693488

View attachment 1693489

View attachment 1693490

View attachment 1693491

View attachment 1693492
Boy. I haven't seen that first picture in about fifteen years, now.
You're Spot On. These belonged to Bri-In-RI [Brian], who, after my first vintage took a shine to my enthusiasm in joining all this hobby. Got ahold of me directly and he was the very first collector I ever worked with and became friends,. The 1939 Columbia Special Deluxe in the Backdrop was my first Prewar.
I didn't have much cash to do it proper, but I had a lot of passion and ideas around a full dressed bike. It got finished enough to ride and retain that Beautiful original paint without clear or linseed etc..etc.. unmolested survivor.
Still have a lot of big appreciation for Brian on that bike and I only had THAT photo to decide if I wanted it. He made it pretty clear I was gonna come out on top if I said yes and didn't disappoint.
Had a very odd chain ring on it I'd not before or since encountered. It wasn't skip or standard but something in between I couldn't never figure out, so I swapped it, the crank arm and the rear wheel to what I had that'd work. Used a Matchstick holder for a headlight and got lucky on those original paint skirts at some antique place for a song.
1000007031.jpg

I never rode a bike more than this one. It went to a home that happily payed top shelf to love it and remain permanently with my friend Jessie.

I'd definitely own another if given the opportunity.
Happy it fits the theme here, as well. 😉

Robin

Back