When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Question - Frozen Pedal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If the right side pedal can be removed, perhaps it can also be re-installed backwards, so that the pedal is inside of the frame; that way the right pedal, against the frame tubing, can act as a stop for the crank, when torque is applied to the left pedal.

UPDATE:
I allowed it to saturate with PB overnight. I even woke a couple of times during the night and gave it a little spray. At 11am this morning I could not get it to budge. I needed to go to the shop where I got the bike anyway so I took it with me. The owner who is 6’5” with the correct tools and 20 years of experience was able to get it off. It took some effort even for him… but saved the crank, pedals, threads, etc…. These are nice vintage white pedals too just what I need for this project!!!!

While I was there I took this bike off his hands… I have no idea what it is. No badge… no markings I could see at quick glance under all of the dirt, rust and grime. It has a double top tube similar to the Rollfast I got from him but I suspect they were common in the day. It was displayed next to the Murray I nabbed last week with the frozen pedal and had same accessories and flower pots, etc... making me believe it was the same owner male/female bikes. Perhaps another Murray??? He had no idea either. Something I can consume the remainder of that PB with!!!

Thank you everybody for your generosity and advice!!! I learned a lot from this one task!!!

EC648BB2-BC10-4E9D-9A60-33D6ECEB67D5.jpeg

Last edited:
If the right side pedal can be removed, perhaps it can also be re-installed backwards, so that the pedal is inside of the frame; that way the right pedal, against the frame tubing, can act as a stop for the crank, when torque is applied to the left pedal.
That's a good idea if you can get one pedal off. But there is an easier method: tie one crank snugly to the chain stay on the same side with some light rope. Can't move.

The owner who is 6’5” with the correct tools and 20 years of experience was able to get it off. It took some effort even for him… but saved the crank, pedals, threads, etc….
The conflict in this story is man versus nature. It illustrates the resilience of the human spirit in direct opposition to the forces of nature. In this story, the protagonist wins out over iron oxide. And perhaps he learned some lessons that will help him in future conflicts. Hooray!

Back