When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone up for solving my Miss Teen mystery?

-

dvicbuhl

On Training Wheels
My wife has a Miss Teen bike serial MA85966. I have been reading that this model was only made in 1966. However, the serial implies 12-31-1965. According to the serials on this site, December 30, 1965 ran MA80373-MA83412. So when would ours be made other than 12-31-1965?, which was a Friday that year. The charts dont show this serial number, but they were running about 3000 bikes a day that year. My wife is the sole owner since childhood. Any thoughts on how to rectify the serial number, dates and 1966 only? Thanks.

Probly frame made in late 1965, introduced / sold as 1966 model.
I agree, I am trying to find a site that has this serial number listed. This site's list stops at MA83412 on December 30. Guessing that our serial of MA85966 was made in 1965, but put together as a bike in 1966 with the Miss Teen's. But I would like to find this serial in a database somewhere.

I wouldn't worry to much about the frame #, as said doesn't tell when they actually built her bike, it's funny that some of those ser # websites say congratulations your bike was built on XXX day!, to bad they didn't stamp the actual build day on the badge as Schwinn did in later years!

My wife has a Miss Teen bike serial MA85966. I have been reading that this model was only made in 1966. However, the serial implies 12-31-1965. According to the serials on this site, December 30, 1965 ran MA80373-MA83412. So when would ours be made other than 12-31-1965?, which was a Friday that year. The charts dont show this serial number, but they were running about 3000 bikes a day that year. My wife is the sole owner since childhood. Any thoughts on how to rectify the serial number, dates and 1966 only? Thanks.

Welcome to the Cabe @dvicbuhl . The serial number list here on the Cabe is a copy of the original list that everyone copies.
https://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html

This original list has many flaws including Schwinn's recording errors like not recording the time your wife's serial number was stamped. It also has type errors when the list was typed so that it could be uploaded to the internet. Like you said, her number must have been stamped on that Friday the 31st, but it was never recorded or that day's stamping list was misplaced. This wasn't the first time that has happened. The crank will be dated in the center with the year and the fork also has a date stamped on it. It will be on the inside of the left fork leg just above the axle slot. Two or three numbers, 1+6 = month+year so it would be January 1966. During the time that Miss Teen was produced the serial number, crank and fork were the only places with a stamping. The actual time the frame was built, or the bike was built is unknown.

What just struck me was another mishap that happened the first of January 1966. When you look at that list on Anglefire take a look at it. Those numbers were not recorded in error like is says, they were stamped in error missing a letter.

My 66 Varsity.jpg

GTS you can make it clear. All manufacturers where that way. They where building products for profit. Just in our case, it was something so cool it became collectible. You never think youre building legends everyday you go to work. every hobbie has guys like GTS, and while I love to watch the guys like him lock horns , I am grateful for his knowledge.

Back