When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Vs OG Resto's look better

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
View attachment 1781251

View attachment 1781252

to me that is a great bike both before and after. I like to take a lot of pictures, if "both" those bikes were at show or ride, I'd take one shot of the blue one, and 10 detail shots of the rusty one. to me there is no such thing as "over restored". I don't care about correctness, I care only about coolness.
I agree. The crusty one is way more to my liking 👍

Fore the better part of the last 37 years I've been restoring antique American made bicycles.....at least those produced between 1895 and 1927.
Collectively these bicycles are most often referred to as "Single Tube Safeties"; the period these bicycles were made may also be referred to as "The Wood Rim" era , however at the beginning of the 1920's a major modification was made to wooden rims that included a formed steel outer sheath that encapsulated the wooden rim. The period that these were available encompassed 1920 thru 1927 when inner tube type tires quickly put an end to the use of wood in the manufacture of rims. With some tweaking the rims that appeared in 1927 that accommodated these new tires which incorporated a metal beading around its inner circumference to hold the tire in place after it was inflated, has changed very little and was one of the developments that expanded bicycle usage, popularity, demand, and production exponentially worldwide. Bicycles produced during this 32 year period cover my interests and during the 37 years I've been restoring them I have strived to bring them back in appearance and function to the day they left the bicycle dealers shop. I know they are only original once but I do my absolute best to reflect each bicycles original appearance and its function. It's what I do, it's what I love to do. Of the more than 85 bicycles I've restored, 34 of them are in the hands of a passionate collector who resides in Switzerland and who plans, when he retires, to open an antique bicycle museum in his home village. The balance of my restoration projects, as far as I know, remain in the hands of the person and family that purchased them (beginning in 1986). I do understand the viewpoint of others that believe that "as found" bicycles should be left as they are "found" however, based on what I've seen at swap meets, bicycle shows, parades, fairs, auctions, and other venues where antique and vintage bicycles are on display, so many of them have been "restored" by folks that do not have the knowledge, skills, the where-with-all, the means, nor the incentive to properly restore their barn-finds, garage sale, Craigslist purchases, and family hand-me-downs properly. The best that can be said for their effort is that, at least most of them, will not be destroyed to the point that they can never again be "properly an correctly" restored by some future owner who's passion for these old treasures is to see them preserved in a way that is sensitive to their origins, their original manufacture, their original finish, as well as all of their original detail. In my view it is better to simply brush off the cobwebs, the dirt, and dust from your barn finds; clean and grease the running gear, replace it's tires, ride it around the neighborhood reliving your youth, and then passing it on to someone who will do the same until it finds it's way to someone who will restore it to it's original appearance and function. O.K.; I realize that the opinions I've expressed here will not be shared by every CABE member; however it's format is perhaps the best way available to passionate antique and vintage bicycle enthusiasts to share their views, experiences, skills, and knowledge, along with a terrific marketplace for parts, bits, pieces, and even complete bicycles all for sale or trade. I can't tell you how many rare, nearly impossible to find, specific components I've found here on the CABE that have allowed me to complete a restoration project to the standard I've set for my work.......actually "my retirement hobby" would be a better description for what I do. Certainly better than golf and, as my wife says"it keeps him out of the bars".

Fore the better part of the last 37 years I've been restoring antique American made bicycles.....at least those produced between 1895 and 1927.
Collectively these bicycles are most often referred to as "Single Tube Safeties"; the period these bicycles were made may also be referred to as "The Wood Rim" era , however at the beginning of the 1920's a major modification was made to wooden rims that included a formed steel outer sheath that encapsulated the wooden rim. The period that these were available encompassed 1920 thru 1927 when inner tube type tires quickly put an end to the use of wood in the manufacture of rims. With some tweaking the rims that appeared in 1927 that accommodated these new tires which incorporated a metal beading around its inner circumference to hold the tire in place after it was inflated, has changed very little and was one of the developments that expanded bicycle usage, popularity, demand, and production exponentially worldwide. Bicycles produced during this 32 year period cover my interests and during the 37 years I've been restoring them I have strived to bring them back in appearance and function to the day they left the bicycle dealers shop. I know they are only original once but I do my absolute best to reflect each bicycles original appearance and its function. It's what I do, it's what I love to do. Of the more than 85 bicycles I've restored, 34 of them are in the hands of a passionate collector who resides in Switzerland and who plans, when he retires, to open an antique bicycle museum in his home village. The balance of my restoration projects, as far as I know, remain in the hands of the person and family that purchased them (beginning in 1986). I do understand the viewpoint of others that believe that "as found" bicycles should be left as they are "found" however, based on what I've seen at swap meets, bicycle shows, parades, fairs, auctions, and other venues where antique and vintage bicycles are on display, so many of them have been "restored" by folks that do not have the knowledge, skills, the where-with-all, the means, nor the incentive to properly restore their barn-finds, garage sale, Craigslist purchases, and family hand-me-downs properly. The best that can be said for their effort is that, at least most of them, will not be destroyed to the point that they can never again be "properly an correctly" restored by some future owner who's passion for these old treasures is to see them preserved in a way that is sensitive to their origins, their original manufacture, their original finish, as well as all of their original detail. In my view it is better to simply brush off the cobwebs, the dirt, and dust from your barn finds; clean and grease the running gear, replace it's tires, ride it around the neighborhood reliving your youth, and then passing it on to someone who will do the same until it finds it's way to someone who will restore it to it's original appearance and function. O.K.; I realize that the opinions I've expressed here will not be shared by every CABE member; however it's format is perhaps the best way available to passionate antique and vintage bicycle enthusiasts to share their views, experiences, skills, and knowledge, along with a terrific marketplace for parts, bits, pieces, and even complete bicycles all for sale or trade. I can't tell you how many rare, nearly impossible to find, specific components I've found here on the CABE that have allowed me to complete a restoration project to the standard I've set for my work.......actually "my retirement hobby" would be a better description for what I do. Certainly better than golf and, as my wife says"it keeps him out of the bars".
This hobby needs men like you. What you do to bring these bikes back to show room stock is a tall order. It takes so much time, money, and skill to do this! It’s very important to save these treasures for future generations to see! With many of your bikes finding their way to museums they will be seen by thousands and possibly 10’s of thousands of people and may inspire some to go find an antique bike! So thank you for that! The passion for the bicycle comes in many perspectives. It’s that passion that drives us all in many ways. I personally see the value in all the builds you’ll find here on the cabe as each style and passion will bring future generations to this hobby! I love the sweaty rusty forgotten bikes and bringing them up to riding status. To turn a bike into something that others can enjoy and ride is awesome! None of mine are factory correct and I’ve passed bikes along to other collectors that are nice original parts and paint because I’m not a purest. Those bikes I’ve passed along deserve to stay whole. All my bikes are riden and shared with others. To let somebody ride an antique bike and have them experience it for the first time…wonderful! I don’t worry about the occasional scratch or ding and have inspired many to go find that antique bike! That’s my passion and contribution to this hobby! Can’t take em with me when the good lord takes me home but I can inspire the love of a good ride on vintage iron while I’m here!

What you have experienced with what I call P.O.'s (previous owners) is a much wider problem than just in the vintage bicycle hobby. I have experienced this same issue in the other hobbies I have been involved in. Air cooled VW's, Early Bronco's, and my current pet peeve is what PO's do to destroy the 1940's to 1950's vintage camper trailer's. People take perfectly good "repairable" core vehicles and add their special touch. My guess is the damage done "in their eyes, was well intended". But in most cases, they just do not want to hear how to do it the correct or best way because the correct/best way usually translates to "more work", "takes longer", and always "costs more". I think people that are new to these hobbies without previous experience restoring vehicles think it's a cheap fun way to spend a weekend. In their mind they naively say, it's just an old bike, car, trailer, VW bus, (enter your vehicle) so the actual cost to restore never enters their minds until they start buying parts/paint/chrome/upholstery/bodywork, etc. then they quickly change their minds.

All you can hope for is to save as many as possible, in the time you have left. My favorite saying is "enjoy the journey", "don't wait for the destination".

John

Woah woah....woee..
What do you mean I can't take them with me??

78CE6BF7-AAC7-49E8-B11B-8969D2A36056.gif

Back