When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wartime Schwinn New World Bikes - We Know You Have Them - Tell Us About Them!!

-
Just picked up another schwinn world with locking fork. Not sure if this qualifies for this thread but figured I would share

20230207_160308.jpg

20230207_160312.jpg

20230207_160314.jpg

20230207_160343.jpg

20230207_160332.jpg

20230207_160321.jpg

20230207_160317.jpg

Last edited:
That is a later model than a "New World" but it is an interesting bike to me because it looks like it has "Schwinn Built" calipers and Schwinn levers on a somewhat later bike. What year is the rear hub marked? I had always thought the "Schwinn Built" calipers ended around 1952 and were replaced briefly by the English-made calipers before the Weinmanns came into use.

That is a later model than a "New World" but it is an interesting bike to me because it looks like it has "Schwinn Built" calipers and Schwinn levers on a somewhat later bike. What year is the rear hub marked? I had always thought the "Schwinn Built" calipers ended around 1952 and were replaced briefly by the English-made calipers before the Weinmanns came into use.
Correct. It does have schwinn built levers and caliphers. Hub stamp is a 55 which is odd. Previous owner being the original owner stated that they never changed any parts with exception of grips. Serial leads me to think its a 52 frame

rear brake cables should be on the down tube, clip in the chain guard and go up like a girls bike.

much later fenders, look at the reflector. E 4 should be a 52,

A 1952 would indeed make sense with that brake set. The fenders, grips, and shifter are add-ons from a later time. 1955 would be the latest bike I've seen with the Schwinn-built brake set, but I think you're onto something using the 52 serial number.

I've always been somewhat interested in the weird period of 1953-54 when you see oddball parts on some of the bikes - Brampton shifters and hubs, and the short-lived Birmingham style English brake sets.

A 1952 would indeed make sense with that brake set. The fenders, grips, and shifter are add-ons from a later time. 1955 would be the latest bike I've seen with the Schwinn-built brake set, but I think you're onto something using the 52 serial number.

I've always been somewhat interested in the weird period of 1953-54 when you see oddball parts on some of the bikes - Brampton shifters and hubs, and the short-lived Birmingham style English brake sets.
This is the second bike that I’ve seen with a later dated 1955 Sturmey hub. The other one was an early 50s clubman continental equipped with a 1955 hub. That model was discontinued years prior to 55. Is there a possibility that those hubs are miss stamped when somebody put a 5 stamping die in place of a 2 stamping die?

Last edited:
Back